• macOS 14.4 Compatibility Issues with Vectorworks

JuanP

We wanted to provide an important update regarding compatibility concerns between the latest macOS versions, 14.4, 14.4.1, and Vectorworks.

Vectorworks has identified significant issues from the recent macOS Sonoma 14.4 updates, resulting in unexpected slowdowns, crashes, and printing size discrepancies for customers. These crashes have been predominantly observed on systems with external displays and often occur after the computer is awakened from sleep. Apple is currently addressing these issues, and we are awaiting a resolution in an upcoming macOS update.

In the meantime, we strongly advise against upgrading to macOS 14.4 or macOS 14.4.1 to avoid potential disruptions to your workflow. If you have already upgraded and are experiencing these issues, we recommend disconnecting external displays or reverting to a previous macOS version if feasible.

We are monitoring the situation and will keep our community informed of any developments as they become available.

• Like 17
    • Sad 2

Report Article

User Feedback

I wish I had known.  Yes it’s a mess.  But unfortunately downgrading is really difficult. 

Out of interest, is this bug caused by an update, i.e. upgrading from an earlier version of Sonoma?  Can anyone confirm if a clean install of the OS causes a similar issue?

Too often users 'auto-update' and this causes the problem, rather than carrying out a clean install or updating with what Apple used to call a 'combo' update.

I too am running MacOs 14.4.1 and the latest VW on an M1 MacBook Pro attached to an apple studio monitor. I'm not seeing any real issues. I'll keep my fingers crossed since downgrading is a major pain.

• Like 1

I’m having massive printing problems on OS 14.4.1 M2 ultra MacPro. 
    other very minor problems but the printer problems are huge. 

Great, just updated and checked VW messages when I relaunched and found this.

5 hours ago, Andrew Pollock said:

I too am running MacOs 14.4.1 and the latest VW on an M1 MacBook Pro attached to an apple studio monitor. I'm not seeing any real issues. I'll keep my fingers crossed since downgrading is a major pain.

same here, even with macOS 14.5 beta no issues...

• Like 1

Similarly to jbtroost and Andrew Pollock (I have the same configuration at home; two original LG Ultrafine 27" 5K monitors made for Mac prior to Apple selling the new Studio Displays) and have not seen or experienced any of the issues noted on either version of Sonoma.  I typically put my MBP to sleep at the end of the day, sometimes remaining plugged in to power, other times not.  I always remain connected to the displays.

• Like 1

I have my M1 MacBook Pro and when I use it at home I haven't found any issues so far and I've updated to there 14.4.1 without knowing of these issues, but I will keep a lookout. (although I don't usually print directly from vw I publish first to PDF and then I print using the preview/pdf reader)

My setup at home is the M1 connected to a UW screen from Alienware.

Edited by FBernardo
    2 hours ago, FBernardo said:

although I don't usually print directly from vw I publish first to PDF and then I print using the preview/pdf reader

Absolutely!

• Like 1
    9 minutes ago, shorter said:

Absolutely!

Always found the print from vw a bit strange, specially because I've used Autocad so much in earlier years that for some reason I can't seem to get on with vw print style, I've done a few times but always came out weird!

11 minutes ago, FBernardo said:

Always found the print from vw a bit strange, specially because I've used Autocad so much in earlier years that for some reason I can't seem to get on with vw print style, I've done a few times but always came out weird!

We advise to never print direct, but to 'soft-proof' your PDF prior to issue or printing.  A 30Mb PDF that takes an hour to print 'should' be raising alarm bells. 😉

24 minutes ago, shorter said:

We advise to never print direct, but to 'soft-proof' your PDF prior to issue or printing.  A 30Mb PDF that takes an hour to print 'should' be raising alarm bells. 😉

ufff 30mb... 

• Like 1

30 mb is nothing, when we create PDFs, its usually well over 100mb, often 200mb. But it's 80 to 150 pages at 36 x 48.  so it is big.  We print directly using the publish function with no problem until Mac OS 14.4(1).  Printing to plotters has always been straight forward and easy for us.  And on 4 different plotters from 4 different makers.   And we also print (scale to fit) to our laser printer Tabloid extra sized, and that works great too.  Again until now.  But this is clearly an Apple issue.  As the same thing happens in Adobe Acrobat, Apple Text Edit, Apple Pages, and various other programs.

• Like 2

Any word on when the update macOS or wks coming out.  This really sucks.  Spinning wheels, crashes freezing, can't save files, etc.  Work around ?

I just got notice that there's a VW update. Should I install that or will it compound the issues? 

I'm on 14.4 with an LG 5K monitor and no crushing issues unless I was switching between Vectorworks and Adobe Illustrator - it would crash almost every time. Now I just use them separately and no other issues using the Sonoma OS. Hopefully, the fix is coming soon.

Yep, switching between apps is a trigger for sure.  I'm seeing that having no other applications open in the background seems to be helping.  I have a 3D modeler that if launched, VW will crash the system on launch, especially of I switch back-and-forth.  It also is more frequent if I'm working in 3D in VW.

Edited by Tom Macie

Multiple Apple silicon Macs with Apple displays. We get more crashes for sure, but it's not (yet) unmanageable. (We have a super-robust auto-back-up system in place.)

Printing is a complete mess with our HP Printer. We have historically printed directly from VW using the Publish function. It worked beautifully. 

Now it just messes up the page formatting (that has to be manually reset for every sheet layer) and churns out so much waste paper from the printer. 

We have gone to a 'via PDF' workflow, but it's so much slower.

Praying for a fix soon... 

P

• Administrator

We've conducted initial tests with macOS 14.5 beta2, and it appears that the printing issue has been resolved. 🤞🏼

• Like 1
    • Love 1

Any more updates on this? Just attempted to launch 2024 to work on a flight to Vietnam (laptop M1 Max, 64Gb RAM, no externals) and hangs up and will not launch. 2023 unsuccessful as well. I need some version of this functional for a project implementation in Vietnam or I'm dead in the water.

Is there any process to downgrade and get this working on MacOS? I see no guidance, just sit and wait? How far back in MacOS do we need to go? There is no solution other than waiting on Apple?

Poor monthly subscribers, hope that gets handled appropriately. In the drive for repeatable revenue with the subscription model and marketing the advantages of the latest and greatest how does this happen? Total disaster to render products unusable -- product failure for cause. 

Would sending an email to the Mac user base warning folks not to update to the latest OS been warranted upon discovery? I certainly get the relentless sales blasts.....but I have to admit I don't check these forums regularly unless there is a problem because I'm taking care of clients. I assume most are much the same so some proactivity to the user base would be good here. 

Extremely disappointed and disgusted.