Historical building surveyed and modeled in Rhinoceros

MarCur

12 hours ago, MarCur said:

Anyway, I've started the migration process from Rhino to VW and I'm dealing at present with the "simplier" building of the block that has almost straight masonery walls.

One odd thing I'm noticing is that some solids are not showed as such while using the "volume section" tool (I don't know if it's this the english name of the tool).

I connot clearly identify what may be causing this since the solids are perfectly watertight, without naked edges or non-manifold edges.

I'm attaching screen cap and vw file.  

via_di_Bari-import3DM.vwx

1057833310_Schermata2022-08-13alle20_31_45.thumb.png.927800cc1cbcb0ed894342664b3d9165.png614977869_Schermata2022-08-13alle20_31_34.thumb.png.9aeffee890e268ef16f25297b96f87c3.png113095337_Schermata2022-08-13alle20_31_25.thumb.png.e971728905c8e74aa5cdd99bc9b4965c.png

I've had this before when solid-modelling + it was really annoying + I have no idea what was causing it. I could have two solid solids (so to speak) which when added together resulted in a hollow solid. It was a while before I realised what had been happening + all I could do was go back + remodel the affected solids. And from then on I modelled using the Clip Cube so that I could check after each operation that my solids were solid + if they were hollow redo them until they were solid then carry on...

As a separate point, if your walls/floors are now essentially plumb/level, would you not be better using the parametric tools rather than modelling the building as solids? I personally think it would be far preferable going forward, if the project allowed it (in terms of dimensional accuracy), to have both the existing + proposed architecture represented as parametric objects. I think it is going to be far more satisfying/effective/efficient when it comes to 'demolishing' + reconfiguring parts of the existing structure, adding new elements, etc if everything is in Wall/Slab/Roof/etc form...

3 hours ago, P Retondo said:

If those are wall objects, there could be a couple of explanations.  One is the class of the inner component may be turned off.  Another is the height of the component.  That can be very difficult to understand and to track down, but the way component heights are determined can be different within the same wall.  Check each component's top and bottom constraints, and if they are different, change them to the constraint parameters that the outer components are using, since they look correct in your section.

Very interested in your speculation.

Would you mind adding a screen shot of the palette/tools/dialogs your're referring to, please?

I've noticed that localized italian version terminology is not perfectly matching english version. (like for "CLIP CUBE").

Whenever I find myself in this situation and "stitch and trim" doesn't happen to work - my heart sinks because it usually seems impossible to resolve and I have to resort to re-modelling.

In this case maybe it would be worth trying to re-import, perhaps using some slightly different settings?

Are they definitely solids in Rhino, or are they actually a mesh of surfaces?

Seems Like I've sorted out the model transition from Rhinoceros to Vectorworks by using Parasolid as importing file format.

Have tried Rhino v5, v6, v7 file format but VW seems not to deal properly with some solids that are imported as groups of unweled surfaces therefore causing the clipping issue.

With parasolid file format the importing process seems fine. (Just have to polish some overlapping solilds to avoid inconsistencies here and there, like the stair base and last landing).

Pretty happy at moment for this step forward the goal.

Schermata 2022-08-14 alle 13.16.52.png

Schermata 2022-08-14 alle 13.15.55.png

• Like 3
On 8/13/2022 at 7:46 PM, MarCur said:

Anyway, I've started the migration process from Rhino to VW and I'm dealing at present with the "simplier" building of the block that has almost straight masonery walls.

One odd thing I'm noticing is that some solids are not showed as such while using the "volume section" tool (I don't know if it's this the english name of the tool).

I connot clearly identify what may be causing this since the solids are perfectly watertight, without naked edges or non-manifold edges.

I'm attaching screen cap and vw file.  

via_di_Bari-import3DM.vwx

1057833310_Schermata2022-08-13alle20_31_45.thumb.png.927800cc1cbcb0ed894342664b3d9165.png614977869_Schermata2022-08-13alle20_31_34.thumb.png.9aeffee890e268ef16f25297b96f87c3.png113095337_Schermata2022-08-13alle20_31_25.thumb.png.e971728905c8e74aa5cdd99bc9b4965c.png

A building this simple should arguably be modelled in Vectorworks to begin with.

Edited by shorter