Symbols in walls

dglh1

I'm a brand new user with basic VW 11.5. No Architect yet. I want to create new window symbol with splayed reveals which will insert and trim correctly into walls created with the walls tools.The standard window PIO in the resources works fine, but I can't see how you can edit the reveals to get splays. Do I need Architect?

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

To make splays work with wall objects in VectorWorks, you must make the splays part of the window symbol. Draw the window symbol (you can start with a Window object) the way you want, then draw the splays the way you want at either jamb. Select the whole thing and make it a symbol. The insertion point of the symbol should be on the centerline of the wall. This means that you'll have to make a symbol for each window and type of wall construction that you want splayed.

Yes, thats what I tried to do....doesn't work for me because the symbol cuts a square sided hole in the wall and doesnt repair the cut to fit to the splayed sides of the window. Also, the symbol ends up with the depth of the reveals fixed as originally drawn and doesn't modify to suit the width of the wall.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

quote:

doesn't work for me because the symbol cuts a square sided hole in the wall and doesnt repair the cut to fit to the splayed sides of the window

You'll have to draw both surfaces of the wall inside your symbol, the square side as well as the splayed side, out to the maximum extents of the splay.

Also keep in mind that the placement of Loci detemine how the wall is 'cut'. Many clever shapes can be accomplished by tweeking the location of 3d loci. My Cathedral requires very specific Gohic historical windows wwith masonry trims.This was accomplished using opposing 3d Loci on each side of the wall.

Hybrid Symbols were created for the different wall types & thicknesses.

• 3 weeks later...

If you can live with a quick and dirty stepped (not splayed) opening, set your frame depth and offset on a PIO to push the window to the inside, turn trim on and set the trim width to open up your masonry, add stool.

[ 05-04-2005, 09:37 AM: Message edited by: Delmer ]