How do I edit attached records on a symbol in the Resource Manager?

So I'm not asking for a symbol that's already in a drawing and using the OIP.

I'm duplicating light fixture symbols and want to rename and re-define the attached records in my library so that the new symbols have all the data when inserted.

They doesn't appear to be a right click option in the RM:

1825748071_editattachedrecords.thumb.jpg.31ca4bcd472b704a771a593a3ff80451.jpg

I've been doing this:

• right click/attached record/uncheck the record/click OK/ close
  • right click/attached record/check the record/click Edit Values/click OK/ close

Now the new symbol can be inserted with data.

This can't be the correct work flow...

• Like 1

that's a wide field..... 😀

indeed the whole record attachment is not really straight forward. Im struggeling with this a lot, here are my experiences:

58 minutes ago, hollister design Studio said:

you have to refill every field if you want to change one line.

No, not really, and yes you have to: If you have already valuables in the field you simply click on the record name, not on the check-tick. The "edit values box the gets activated and you can edit single values without touching other values. If you uncheck by clicking the check-tick and re-attach the record all field values are lost.

If you want to change values for instances of a symbol that are already in the drawing, you cant do this here,- in this case a worksheet is your friend.

If you are familiar with the data manager you can define default values for record fields that will be attached automatically when the symbol is inserted.

Edited by halfcoupler
  • Like 1
14 hours ago, halfcoupler said:

...you simply click on the record name, not on the check-tick. The "edit values box the gets activated ...

I'll try this again.

'Edit values' seemed to be grayed out unless I had deleted and rechecked. 

Truly 'editing' (as apposed to deleting/recreating) from that dialog would be fine - if a bit inconvenient.

And I'll look into the data manager.

Thanks!

16 hours ago, halfcoupler said:

f you are familiar with the data manager you can define default values for record fields that will be attached automatically when the symbol is inserted.

Is this new in vw2022?

In vw2021 I recall unsuccessfully trying to use the data manager to do this. I could attach records but not edit the attached values. Maybe I missed something.

@hollister design StudioYes customising default record data for symbol definitions in the RM is really tedious. There is a workaround if you have symbol instances with all the correct data already inserted somewhere. The workaround uses a “make symbol unique” script that will take a symbol instance and duplicate it with a new duplicate symbol definition. You can choose to use the record data of the original symbol instance as default record data for the new symbol definition.

So if you did this and then deleted the original symbol def, rename the new symbol def the same as the deleted one, then import the new def into your library. The old symbol def with the same name in the library would be replaced with the new one complete with your custom default  record data.

If there is a lot of record info you want to customise then this method saves a lot of typing.

Script can be found in this thread.

• Like 1