Tags On Rack Elevation Equip Items

Hands up for the possibility to choose what will be displayed at the 3D equipment. Sometimes it is not possible to show make and Modell regarding customer restrictions. 
mat the moment my workaround is to ungroup the item an delete make and Modell. For sure I the lose all the intelligence behind the process. 

• Like 1

i'm not sure if this OP is exactly the same issue i'm running into, but it seems like it might be related..

in 2016, on Equipment Items, we had the option to choose from displaying [device name | model # | none]

image.thumb.png.126578525f95f8e1bea321b7f5e1612e.png

but, it appears that in 2021, we no longer have the option to turn off text on Equipment Items (display none), we only have the option to align where the text goes.

image.thumb.png.80864910c5928df84b7b765ab3c8db60.png

what's super interesting is, on a file which i just imported from 2016 > 2021, which had "none" selected on all the equipment items, the text is hidden when i first open it:

image.thumb.png.5254abccdfb926b05f12a762fb25d66d.png

but as soon as i select a "Text Align" to anything other than what's already selected, the text appears:

image.thumb.png.1c58b0ac112f49922cbd36377ad15a5d.png

image.thumb.png.ba48aa70d0ffd885de6056fcbe13a85a.png

image.thumb.png.cd825f277c1e5b2422860e666f8527ef.png

and then selecting the original alignment "center", now displays the name - and i have no way to turn it off without Control-Z.

maybe its related?

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
On 2/1/2021 at 5:44 PM, Daniel Dickman said:

Is there anyway to add a tag to an Equipment Item in a rack elevation? I'm finding some of my device names are long and would like to use a tag for a more concise text on the elevation.

- Actually, you are asking about 2D equipment in 2D rack or about 3D racks? Because tagging of 2D equipment is absolutely possible.

1 minute ago, Daniel Dickman said:

Yes just talking about 2D racks. Looking to have tags, just like we do on the schematic layer.

Well then, you can try using Data Tags for this purpose. Just tag the Equipment Item with a Data Tag, edit the Data tag's layout, insert a text and specify what to display using the Dynamic Text value in the OIP. I can send you an example if you want one.

jim, thank you for the headsup!

i've just gone in and tried to do this.. double-clicked my Equipment Item, but it seems there are no text blocks to modify once inside  .. i think i'm confused, can you please correct me?   where would i modify the text size to hide it from the rack elevation?

image.thumb.png.d1e977f93ad20cb0b4c63af0a8eff8cf.png

thank you so much!

m

Hi All, 

Really interesting reading all of the above ideas. I tried the change text size to .1 and it works on anything above 1U in size. 1U in height seems to create an issue visually as shown in the image below. Would love to know if there was a way around this! 

cheers

Screenshot 2021-02-14 at 22.24.47.png

hi conrad,

i actually just came across a similar situation... with a gray box.

the gray rectangle showed up on its own following these same font sizing instructions.. .

it appears to make the symbol huge... extending off screen...    and even going into the symbol - it is not editable..

image.thumb.png.4e19241f50b279c8e8e10839a5ee9f0f.png

image.thumb.png.ea7f3f40b875cb96adc3df72785e97b4.png

i've emailed the file to you

Well what Niko suggested was just a workaround ...

It seems to me that there's a more fundamental point here. The reason for using ConnectCAD is to save designers time. That's what your boss is paying for - productivity.

Yes we like you to be able to customise the look of our software, but it is also vital that ConnectCAD "just works" out of the box without a ton of fiddly clicks. The experience for the new user is very important. It's so easy to get hung up on the details and forget the big picture.

Giving you the ability to disappear this text is on my list, please be patient. We need to do this the right way.

Conrad

• Like 3