Spotlight Parameters: Share custom OIP 1

C. Andrew Dunning just sent me a vw2020 file containing a custom Spotlight OIP, or so we thought. While inside the Spotlight preferences > Lighting devices: Parameters dialogue box, i clicked on Settings: Default, and the Manage... buttons, and could not find his custom OIP Light Device Palette. Not in his document, not in Applications > Vw2020 > Plug-ins folder. Also not in Home > Library > Application Support > Vectorworks > 2020 > Plug-ins > Data folder

If someone creates and names a custom Spotlight OIP within a document, it appears that custom setting doesn't "stay" with a document. Presuming i've not missed an obvious clue:

Please make it possible for a customized saved Lighting Device parameter [OIP] setting to be transported with the rest of the document actively using that customized OIP.

If this is already possible, please tell me how i've missed the obvious. thanks.

• Like 1

I've just tested this on a file saved between two machines. 

The current Object Information Palette settngs are saved and current when you open the file on Computer 2 but instead of carrying over the saved preset name, the setting appears as "Customised". When I go an save this setting, the Saved name from the other computer appears as the suggested name on computer 2. So nearly there!!

Edited by markdd

I think this is working as designed — when you open the file with someone else’s customizations, the Spotlight prefs should show the OIP as “Customized.”  If it doesn’t, that’s a bug, but I’m not seeing any issues with that. 

If you want that setting to be available to other documents, you can then save that setting. 

If you want to share saved OIP settings outright, you can manually edit the user folders and share the xml files. 

I think what you are requesting is that if a user has saved the custom settings, that saved name should transfer with the file. This opens up a can of worms — what if the other user has named the setting “my default,” and you also have a setting names “my default”?  How do you know which one you’re using? I also don’t think I would want everyone’s custom settings to automatically save to my user folder. I would want to have to deliberately save the settings, which is basically how the system works now. 

17 minutes ago, JBenghiat said:

I think what you are requesting is that if a user has saved the custom settings, that saved name should transfer with the file. This opens up a can of worms — what if the other user has named the setting “my default,” and you also have a setting names “my default”?  How do you know which one you’re using? I also don’t think I would want everyone’s custom settings to automatically save to my user folder. I would want to have to deliberately save the settings, which is basically how the system works now. 

I see this as a bug or a VE. The program identifies me in a user folder, so I assume, and I haven't dug into this, but if I ave settings "My Default," and I send a file to u=you and and you have used the same name, I would like the program to send that information to you as "My Default-Kevin Allen."

20 minutes ago, Kevin Allen said:

I see this as a bug or a VE. The program identifies me in a user folder, so I assume, and I haven't dug into this, but if I ave settings "My Default," and I send a file to u=you and and you have used the same name, I would like the program to send that information to you as "My Default-Kevin Allen."

Much more elegant that my reaction, Kevin. I would presume the same-named file would be identified as "My Default-1". I like your proposal much better. It would also seem, in this scenario, that unless i used "My Default-Kevin Allen" [aka "My Default-1" that the incoming customized OIP would only be temporary, and would disappear once the document was closed, unless the incoming OIP was used?

3 minutes ago, Kevin Allen said:

I would suggest that the default action would be for the prefs to save the settings, or at least have a pop-up ask me if I want to save the settings. 

sure, but i believe it would be most helpful to single out exactly which settings were potentially going to be saved. "Do you want to save "My Default-Kevin Allen?" rather than merely "do you want to change the changes made to "LightingDeviceParamsSavedSet.xml".

It would also be helpful if any or all of these settings could be saved in a more findable folder? I *think* i found one of my saved OIP parameters in Home > Library > Application Support > Vectorwor> 2020 > Plug-ins > Data? How about the Settings folder?

• Like 1
54 minutes ago, MrTemplate said:

sure, but i believe it would be most helpful to single out exactly which settings were potentially going to be saved. "Do you want to save "My Default-Kevin Allen?" rather than merely "do you want to change the changes made to "LightingDeviceParamsSavedSet.xml".

It would also be helpful if any or all of these settings could be saved in a more findable folder? I *think* i found one of my saved OIP parameters in Home > Library > Application Support > Vectorwor> 2020 > Plug-ins > Data? How about the Settings folder?

Yes, I hope that is what I was saying.