import classes?

bonus

Resources can be imported to a drawing, using the resource browser.

Is there a way to import classes from other files?

Sometimes I want to add some specific classes with all their settings to a drawing - importing them from an existing drawing would be great.

I have also wanted to mix two drawings into one. I've done it by exporting one of the drawings to dwg, then importing it back into the other drawing. That way all classes followed but not the layers.

Anyone knows a better way that will preserve all classes,layers etc?

I'm looking for a "import VW-file" command.

A simple way to do it is to copy and paste items from a drawing into the new file and then delete them all. The classes remain in the new file. There may be a more sophisticated way to achieve the same end but it works.

One other tip is to create a blank template file with all the classes that you use included.

Your "import VW-file" command is called Work Group Reference. Using WGR, you link to one or more of the drawing layers in another VW document. This "remote" linking imports the utlized classes from the remote layer. One can later "break" the link (WGR-Edit), while checking to keep the data, which literally imports the remote layer. This way you can bring in only the layers desired.

The efficient way to manage classes across your practice (all your drawings) is to create a standards file. In the VW application folder, you'll find one labeled Standards which holds files tagged .sta . You can create your very own, inhouse Standards file by creating a file that has all your commonly used classes then saving it with the .sta tag. Place it in the Standards folder. Next time you need one of those common classes, import it from the Classes dialog (click New, then Create From Standard). Be sure to pay attention to the visibility setting to minimize confusion. . .I nearly always set it to visible.

BTW, this Standards protocol also works for Layers. Brings in the layer name & scale settings.

Good luck,

[ 09-23-2005, 09:43 AM: Message edited by: Travis ]

Right John - I've done those things too.

The problem is you don't get the classes where there are no objects. And doing as your other tip - you need to use that template to start with. I'm not that organized at all time and need to add on classes in existing files.

I've created a template with all needed classes and a simple object in every class. I use that the way you suggest and it works, but there should be more refined and useful importing functions in VW.

My other wish to blend drawings: imagine you have designed a kitchen, with all different layers and classes to create different viewports. Then you want to use the same kitchen in another project, along with all the different settings in classes, layers etc - "copy and paste" is one way, but layers will not be recreated....Im sure there are ways around and around and around - but I'm looking for a right and clean way...

Thank's anyway John

to import classes from a file that has all the settings that you want, save the file to your Standards folder. From there you can import all the classes that are in that file, regardless of whether or not there are objects with that class assigned. when you create a new class, you can then point to the new standard file and select all the classes that you want.

As for importing layers with stuff on them, use WGR as noted above by Travis. If you want to be able to import the layers as names, then save the file to your standards folder, and then when you make a new layer you can point to the new standard file and select all the layer that you want.

This topic is covered in my Architect Tutorial Manual...