Is this normal!!

What system and machine\processor\speed\RAM are you running? What type of render are to attempting?

A 1.4gb file is pretty big. You're going to need LOTS of RAM for that one. We often have 50mb to 100mb files and they sometimes take a couple of hours to render a view. There are often many ways to simplify the geometry--which in turn simplifies the render--but still get substantially the same finished product.

Good luck,

Hey Travis,

My computer is a Mac G5...not sure about the ram and processor. As for rendering...more then half the drawing is image texures while the landscape is done in plain colours. I've been importing dxf files of 3d trees...could this be affecting it?

What do you mean by simplifying the geometry?

Thanks

Someone else will have to comment about .dxf\3D stuff. We've learned that we have much better success if we created it ourselves (unless it comes from Vectorworks or sometimes 3rd-party vendors like Vectorbits). I'd try turning off the class(es) for the imported items and then see if it will render.

Some ways to simplify geometry:

1) If you Add Surface or Clip Surface of overlapping objects, it's not uncommon to have extra vertices appear. We always make sure to eliminate the extras. . .before the 2D element gets extruded.

2) Set 3D conversion preference to the minimum acceptable level, especially during design.

3) there are lots more but I'm out of time. Hopefully more will be added.

An image prop is like a cardboard cutout of an image that auto-rotates to always face the viewer.

To make them you have to extract the part of the image you want from it's background, and with trees that is a mighty fiddle.

Then use the Model>Create Image Prop.

If you look in the Textures folder in the program file you should find some (?depends on version ) otherwise the NNA site has some links I think. Also search on this board for posts.

Hey Nicholas,

So when you me extract do I import the tree file into the file that I'm working on...and if so how do I extract the background? Or do I extract the background in a different program then import it? Thanks alot I really appreciate it.