michaelk

Fast Flat v0.9.1

Good point.  I'll take a look at it again.  The last request in this thread was to not force the classes on the user.  And in my own entertainment and especially architectural drawing, I HATE classes that come into the drawing unbidden and mess up my navigation palette.

I agree I don't like anything being imposed but they don't come into the drawing until/unless users click the 'Use Standard Classes' button in the classes layout dialogue having clicked the 'Classes' button at the bottom of the OIP.

Cheers,

Peter

Good idea Peter.  Version 1.1 is now up.  There is a button to create standard classes.  Same page.

• Like 1

Thanks for all your feedback, Peter.  If you hadn't pointed out what a hot mess this tool was in metric it would have never gotten fixed.

I went round and round on this same issue with my little seating chart tool.  Not sure if I made the right decision.  I might have ended up with half the baby.  By default classes are created for all the different data types, but then they are not assigned.

The way I use the tool, it's almost useless without assigning the standard classes, but I'm cautious about forcing classes.

Oh yes your seating tool is very nifty.Can you post some pics/examples for people to see?

Thanks,

Peter

That's a good idea.  I'll see what I can find.  

8 hours ago, michaelk said:

v1.2.  The long-ignored Andrew Dunning Bug™ is finally fixed.  Some day we'll need flats again.

Download here.

Amen brother !

Hi - 

Is there way to have jacks span multiple flats?

ie. if I'm making 12' high wall with 4x8's ?

Thank you 🙂

image.thumb.png.a029443a0986610c366cc74758fe4d80.png
edit - add image

Edited by Ethan R.

Sort of.  

Set the ribs to "none"

Set the Covering Depth to 0.

Turn on the center jack.

You now have a free floating jack whose height is controlled by the Flat Height.

5 hours ago, michaelk said:

Set the ribs to "none"

Set the Covering Depth to 0.

Turn on the center jack.

+ set framing width/depth to 0

Thanks !

image.thumb.png.854e12d46e7e6f24a5cbfd57a90dc0fe.png

Edited by Ethan R.

If you're trying to figure out the relationship between the height of the brace and the height of the flat, I couldn't remember it either so I just looked it up.

It checks the height of the flat.  If the height of the flat is under 4 feet, it just uses the height of the flat.  If the height of the flat 4 feet or more it subtracts 1 foot from the flat height.

So a flat that is exactly 4' tall will have a shorter brace that a flat that is 3'11".  Sigh.

That sounds like a terrible way to do that  :-).  Especially for the majority of the world that uses a rational measuring system.

2 hours ago, michaelk said:

If you're trying to figure out the relationship between the height of the brace and the height of the flat,

Was not trying to do that.  By setting bracing to 0 and face to 0, I was still getting the outside frame 🙂