VW2018 SP5.1: can I revert to SP4?

line-weight

Question

Updated to SP5.1 yesterday but I am having problems with things like walls and windows disappearing or moving, and selection handles failing to appear on objects.

While I can't be sure, I don't think this was happening as much in SP4.

I just want to get some work done instead of spending half my days working out what's wrong with VW.

Is there any way to revert?

9 answers to this question

If I am not wrong I think JimW explained somewhere in another Thread that the new Updater

offers such an option and how it works (?)

BTW,

Will these Problems persist if you temporarily degrade your OpenGL display setting down

to something containing the word "Compatibility" ?

If that would work ok, it would be a less tedious way, while waiting for a SP with final Fix. 

4 minutes ago, zoomer said:

If I am not wrong I think JimW explained somewhere in another Thread that the new Updater

offers such an option and how it works (?)

BTW,

Will these Problems persist if you temporarily degrade your OpenGL display setting down

to something containing the word "Compatibility" ?

If that would work ok, it would be a less tedious way, while waiting for a SP with final Fix. 

Thanks @zoomer

Although it's what's so often suggested, in my experience changing those display settings has never solved a problem.

In this case, as objects have physically moved, it doesn't seem likely that it's just a display issue (?)

I wish I could believe there would ever be a 'final fix' for VW!

12 minutes ago, line-weight said:

In this case, as objects have physically moved

Really 😳

Like Cameras do since VW 2016 ?

Like jumping to file origin or to far locations with e199 numbers and such.

That would be a real problem ....

Have to look more closely at my projects ....

17 minutes ago, zoomer said:

Really 😳

Like jumping to file origin or to far locations with e199 numbers and such.

That would be a real problem ....

Have to look more closely at my projects ....

I'm going to have to wait and see if it happens again. Of course there's the possibility that it was something I did.

But I found that a wall had changed its elevation and height to zero, and two windows in that wall had leapt to completely different elevations above. I'm fairly sure that it wasn't something I did though. I think it may have been associated with a crash of VW that happened around the same time.

If it happens again I will report back.

On 12/4/2018 at 7:43 AM, zoomer said:

I don't mean to hijack this thread, but I just want to say I'm glad to hear someone say this.  VW2018 was my starting point, learning the app from the ground up, and trying to also make use of the cameras.  Their behaviour has been so frustrating that I don't try to use them at all any more, thinking it was me.  I know that my renders probably suffer a slight bit and I'm missing out on some interesting looks, but at least I can get the job done without a weekend in a padded room afterwards. 😜  So now having read this comment, I'm relieved that it's not me failing to understand the app.

Cheers.

19 minutes ago, Steve Clarkson said:

I don't mean to hijack this thread, but I just want to say I'm glad to hear someone say this.  VW2018 was my starting point, learning the app from the ground up, and trying to also make use of the cameras.  Their behaviour has been so frustrating that I don't try to use them at all any more, thinking it was me.  I know that my renders probably suffer a slight bit and I'm missing out on some interesting looks, but at least I can get the job done without a weekend in a padded room afterwards. 😜  So now having read this comment, I'm relieved that it's not me failing to understand the app.

Cheers.

They are a bit of a disaster. However I've had some success (after a bit of padded cell time) using them for certain things. See also this thread...

• Like 1

I also don't use Cameras anymore since it got worse in 2016.

I retry it from scratch with any new VW Version again but for me nothing has changed.

As Cameras have quite a lot of optional Settings,

that often need to be same or similar for all , I start of course by customized settings

of a first Camera and duplicate it like a template to get new Cameras.

Also I allow myself to edit more than one camera at a time, edit their whole Settings offer,

change their Layer or Class assignment, deactivate that unwanted Viewport Crop or go from

connected Viewports back into their Camera Edit Mode and such things.

I don't know if one or all of these kind of edits are forbidden, but the more I change, at one

point, more and more Cameras will to end up mixing up their Locations, jump to File Origin

or end in coordinates e99 Nirwana.

But that doesn't necessarily mean that others who use their Cameras in a different way,

may have the same problems and could not be successful with them.

Edited by zoomer

Ya, for me, the day I dropped them I had been setting up cameras, going to Viewport, go back to edit cameras to find they'd moved randomly either position, view or both, back to Viewport and they've moved again.  But maybe sometime I should really try to find a method/flow that works, I really would like to improve the realism of my renders.  Thanks for your comments, much appreciated.

• Like 1