How to copy object through remote points?

This seems like a dumb question, but I can't find an answer in the book.

Let's say I have a circle at point A. I want to copy it the same distance and angle as from point B to point C, which are at different locations in the drawing.

How can I do that without measuring the distance and angle from point B to point C, or without creating a construction line?

thanks.

Dave

Dave,

I'm a little unclear as to the relationship between points A, B, & C. Two shots in the dark may be helpful, or not:

1) Can you use Duplicate Array to accomplish what you need?

2) If you want Circle1 to be the same distance from more than one point, you could: Place C1 on the first point, invoke Move (keyboard equiv: Command+M), enter Cartesian or Polar coordinates, click OK. Then duplicate C1, locate it on second point, invoke Move, previous coordinates are recalled by default.

Might have better suggestions if I understood your desire more clearly.

Good luck,

Another option occurs to me:

Set a locus on your reference point, select it and your properly located circle, group them.

Now you can duplicate, or copy/paste, as often as you need and simply snap the locus onto the remaining reference points--the circle will remain at the consistent offset from the locus.

(I feel a little like the journeyman making suggestions to the master--read your other post re your longtime CAD experience. Perhaps if I also knew ACAD, I'd not only better understand your question, I'd know an approx equiv here in VW.)

I knew this would be tough to explain.

I want to copy circle A the same distance and angle as the distance and angle between points B and C. This would put a copy of the circle at point D.

The distance and angle between point A and point D are now the same as the distance and angle between point B and point C.

This kind of thing comes up all the time. It requires the ability to pick an object and keep it picked while clicking on two remote reference points.

When I try to do it in VectorWorks, the circle at point A gets unpicked and the object at point B is picked, not what I want to do.

Is this still muddy? Thanks.

Dave

Travis,

What I've done so far is to place an addtional circle at point B. Then I pick circle at A and circle at B with Shift-click. Then I copy from B to C using option key. Then I erase the extra circles that I don't need. Way too complicated.

The locus point idea sounds like a solution but I was hoping for something more direct. At least the locus point won't print if you forget to erase it.

David,

go to

www.vectordepot.com

and go to the plugins section.

Down the page you will find a Duplicate/multiple PIO by Katerina that will do what you want. Put it in your Plugins folder and add it to your workspace. There is also a Point to Point Menu command which might do what you want. I haven't tried that one.

Down towards the bottom of the list is Duplicate by Vector which does much the same thing.

cheers,

N.

[ 01-19-2005, 03:17 PM: Message edited by: propstuff ]

David,

Try this:

First, turn on the VectorWorks Preference "offset duplicaions".

Next, draw a locus at point B. Now option drag the locus to point C.

Select you circle and choose Edit/"Duplicate". That's it.

The Duplicate command will remember the last distance/angle of the option drag and your new circle will appear at point D.