Class navigation

scottmoore

Question

The Parent - Child relationship should be visualized in ALL iterations of class display windows.  For example; if I open the Organization Window or the Navigation Palette I see nicely organized lists of my classes including the parent-child relationships (i.e. "twirly" buttons).  On the other hand, if I choose Classes from a Viewport, no such relationships exist.  This makes for a rather tedious process of searching for classes to enable or disable for renderings when we are accustomed to finding those items very quickly when they are organized in a parent-child scenario.  Often, I want to turn on or off entire subgroups of classes, but this is not possible without the visualization of that relationship.  Instead, we have to select a range of classes which takes more time and often, that bit of tedious searching comes in a point on the design process where we just want to quickly start outputting renders.    

4 answers to this question

Interesting.

Yes it is the way you are describing. Didn't expect that.

Nevertheless I can't work with hierarchical class display at all and am happy since the implementation to switch

hierarchical display off in drop downs too.

I do not understand how people use it. I completely lose overview that way. It is not readable.

That may be related to the way it is represented in the VW GUI though.

I am faster scrolling through classes by scroll wheel and for setting visibility of a whole class "hierarchy", for me

that means just an easy mouse drag over all at one time. Or a Click + SHIFT Click for more precision.

But for those that like that way,

I second that it should be consistent over all dialogs.

Edited by zoomer
1 hour ago, zoomer said:

Nevertheless I can't work with hierarchical class display at all and am happy since the implementation to switch

I do not understand how people use it. I completely lose overview that way. It is not readable.

I am faster scrolling through classes by scroll wheel and for setting visibility of a whole class "hierarchy", for me

that means just an easy mouse drag over all at one time. Or a Click + SHIFT Click for more precision.

Agreed!

Although the mouse drag doesn't work for me to select multiple classes. Only holding shift and clicking works.

Strange, once I noticed it works for me by dragging.

Is that an OS X Feature only or something brought to me by my Wacom Tablet Driver ?

But if I remember correctly I found this visibility dragging feature slong time ago

when deactivating object deletion in Purge Preview ?

Edited by zoomer
7 hours ago, zoomer said:

Interesting.

Yes it is the way you are describing. Didn't expect that.

But for those that like that way,

I second that it should be consistent over all dialogs.

I find heirarchal lists extraordinarily useful. It's critical that you set them up in a way that speeds your workflow and does not hinder it. For instance, I just finished a design that had multiple set pieces. Each piece was in it's own drop down menu. Once inside the particular set of classes for a piece, I have access to facings, frames, backlit panels, details, etc. if I need the entire piece on or off, it is a single click of the parent folder.

Every once in a while, when lots of parent folders and sub folders have been opened, one has to "collapse all" to regain a sense of location in the menu. That would be the point you are most likely describing. For the most part I try to control massive selections with saved views. 

My issue then is exactly the opposite: I am used to seeing my heirarchal layout to quickly turn groups of items on and off in a viewport but now have to scan down every single class individually and make sure I am selecting all of whatever I need. 

Both ways work.  Whichever is more comfortable for the end user. I would just like for it to be consistent.