Creating Vector Locks

Jim Smith

Question

5 answers to this question

Thanks for pointing out this feature! I never used it before.

Might be new to v2107? At least it works for me as described in v2017 help:  Acquire an object or snap point and drag to produce an extension line. While continuing to hold the drag operation, tap the "t" key. The extension line turns dark, bold red. Continue drag to intended target point (perhaps indicated by other snaps or other extension lines). Action is limited to the lock line. Release the drag. The red line and associated lock disappear as soon as the drag is released.

As far as I can tell, this only works if the Angle Snap feature is turned on.

And only works with directions/angles enabled in Angle Snap prefs.

Perhaps others have a better grasp of this feature than I do.

-B

Edited by Benson Shaw
details
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Smart Points does need to be enabled in Snapping, and in the snapping settings for Smart Points generally you'd leave the horiz/vert and extension lines enabled. I THINK it will work even without Angle Snapping on as long as your other snapping options allow for extension lines.

http://app-help.vectorworks.net/2017/eng/index.htm#t=VW2017_Guide%2FBasic2%2FCreating_Vector_Locks.htm&rhsearch=vector lock&rhhlterm=vector lock&rhsyns=

However I am not sure if there is a secret to anything about it, you press T and it forces your cursor to remain along the extension line that came either from hovering over a point to manually specifying the datum point with G.