Screen and Layer Plane mode keeps switching

I don't know how may times I have changed the plane mode to screen only, but I'm still having to continuously go back and keep selecting screen only.

There was a post last year sometime that there was an issue where editing the crop of a viewport would cause this to happen but surely that has been fixed by now.

Is this a bug or am I using this wrong?

• 3 weeks later...

This is still occurring and now causing other issues.

Because it keeps reverting to layer instead of screen, when we copy and paste text etc the pasted text is now screen.

If we then copy that text and paste into the annotation space of a viewport, there is no prompt that we are trying to paste a "3D" element into a space that can only cater "2D".

The text pastes, however there are no blue nodes to edit the shape of the text etc.

The only fix is to select all text cut, paste to a design layer, change to screen, cut, paste back in annotation space.

Anyone got a suggestion on a better work around?

• 2 weeks later...

I submitted a bug for an aspect of this issue Q1 last year. The aspect is; When copy-pasting Layer Plane text into Sheet Layer, text cannot be resized/reshaped. - The status for this bug says it's still unresolved. I've confirmed this persists in 2017 SP2. 

Using 2016 SP6, I recreated the specific scenario you've described. At first, I could not get this unadjustable text to occur within a Viewport - I got a message explaining it's going to get converted to a screen plane object and it did, but subsequent attempts did not bring up the message and text was pasted, unadjustable. 

A faster workaround for pasted text with no resize handles in either Sheet Layer or Sheet Layer Viewport annotations, (note; the OIP values still work): Double-click the text object > select all > deselect object > paste anywhere. Viola! New, functional text.