Rigid Insulation Tool or Hatch, v2013

OK. I have uploaded a 2013 version. You should be able to make a complex linetype of just two short lines which will endlessly repeat themselves. I don't know when these linotypes were introduced so don't know whether they are supported by 2013. If you go to the resource browser though you should find a linetype called "tiny lines". 

Mark

Tiny Lines v2013.vwx

Edited by markdd

Thanks Markdd - I can now see the offset lines - any suggestions on how to adjust its 'thckness?  For eg - I have 2" rigid so that 'line' needs to be 2" thick

Also Thanks Michaelk - not familiar with repetitive units - the hatch seems to work but with multiple layers of lines oriented vertical instead of just the 2 I am looking for, which should be fine enough.    iam just playing with rotating it for either floor or wall applications

Thickness should be controlled by the attributes palette just like any other lines. If you mean change the geometry then you will need to edit that from the resource browser according to what you need. I'm afraid I'm not a Canadian architect so have no idea what is required!!

Mark

8 minutes ago, Kerschbaumer said:

not familiar with repetitive units - the hatch seems to work but with multiple layers of lines oriented vertical instead of just the 2 I am looking for, which should be fine enough.    iam just playing with rotating it for either floor or wall applications

The repetitive units uses a symbol and lets you control the spacing (pitch) of those symbols.  I made a symbol with those two lines and pointed the repetitive unit tool at it.

The orientation of the hatch can follow a wall.  Not sure if it does any tricks with slabs or floor objects in 2013.  But you can use the attribute mapping tool to change the position, orientation, or scale of any instance of the hatch.

hth

mk

14 minutes ago, markdd said:

Thickness should be controlled by the attributes palette just like any other lines. If you mean change the geometry then you will need to edit that from the resource browser according to what you need. I'm afraid I'm not a Canadian architect so have no idea what is required!!

Mark

Thanks guys - I dont want to take up your day with this and really appreciate your help.  These are both a great start and I will play around with it to see if I can get it where I would like.

Cheers

Mark

I dont have one.  I should say there was one I did find but it looks nothing like what I know as convention.  If you or anyone has one or several hatches you want to share that way it is to me the simplest option - just havent found anything - to be clear I want it it to look like the screen shot at the start of the post - if not I will continue to draw by hand.  Thanks

Ah - got-it.  The US convention is the diamond hatch which I believe is built in.  If you need to replicate your graphics exactly, a hatch would be tough because it is not going to scale correctly with increased thickness.  Complex line type is not bad stop gap.  I suggest around with the hatch creator.

What does that convention look like when you have 12" rather than 2"?  Can you send me a screenshot?  Next time a have a second - I will see if I can make a hatch.  

I suggest around with the hatch creator.  It is terribly frustrating, but you might be able to make it yourself. 

Yeah, I figured  the thickness may factor into but, but that said I personally never draw foam any thicker than 4".  If it goes more than that I will build up 3 sheets to get to 12" for example.  I started to try and build a hatch but was taking me forever as I am not strong in that department - faster just to draw it by hand. 

Attached is a screen shot of how I usually draw it

Cheers

Screen Shot 2016-12-06 at 12.00.04 PM.jpg

The repetitive unit tool is in the dimensioning tool set.

Select the tool and draw the path as though you are using the poly line tool.   Once it's inserted into the drawing you can change the object that it repeats (in this case a symbol called Canadian Insulation) or edit the path like any other VW polyline.

The symbol has its insertion point at the bottom.  The symbol insertion tool will use the default attributes for the path polyline.  Set it to no pen if you don't want to see it.

hth

mk

The issue you may have with the repetitive unit is that if you do not land exactly on the end of a unity you are going to stop short or go long.  It might also have issues turning corners, and the units are not flexible. My limited experience with the tool makes me think it will not work in many scenarios.  

I am curious though to see what Michaelk has come up with. 

Tom

You're right about corners and repetitive units.  But in this case with sections of slab insulation, I don't think it will be much of an issue.  If he wan't still using 2013 I'd say that a line type is definitely the way to go.  Much easier to insert, cleaner in corners, and more portable from drawing to drawing.

Certainly easier than using a hatch, which would need to be remapped or duplicated and rotated to do the same thing with the section of a wall.  And will almost certainly need to be remapped even when using it on a slab insulation.

mk