Jump to content
  • 0
Kevin McAllister

Renderworks Style - Indirect Lighting options

Question

I am wondering if there is more documentation for the Indirect Lighting options for a Renderworks Style. I couldn't even find the multiple bounce options listed in the help (bounce returns no results).

I'd like to know more about "Immediate Preview, Slow Resolve, 2 Bounces". It seems like it should be faster than 3, 4 or 8 bounces but in reality its dreadfully slow when combined with Hidden Line as a foreground mode. Should these modes not be combined?

Thanks,

Kevin

 

Screen Shot 2016-09-14 at 10.58.48 AM.png

Share this post


Link to post

3 answers to this question

Recommended Posts

  • 1

The Immediate Preview one is just when you're checking lighting and angles mostly, it gives a very quick prerender compared to the others but takes longer overall to finish than either 3 or 4 bounces I think. It is more of a utility setting and not what you would use outside of light and shadow checking. Often we encourage setting up dual render styles, a final one and then a "Working" rendering mode that shows previews very quickly but that you would rarely even allow to finish rendering so that you could tweak things faster.

I have heard this is a very good primer on Indirect Lighting, haven't had a chance to watch the entire series myself yet though:
 

 

Share this post


Link to post
  • 1

The idea of the bounces is to light the secene realistically, calculating the light bouncing from one surface to another. 3 o 4 bounces makes a dramatic improvement to the scene and make the view much more realistic. I never use the Immediate Preview, I think I tried it once and couldn't see the point of it. 

I have some clients that have tried placing lights using no bounces, but then when they add the bounces the scene is over lit, so if you are trying to get a quick render to test the scene, leave the bounces on, reduce the over quality to speed up the rendering. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
24 minutes ago, JimW said:

The Immediate Preview one is just when you're checking lighting and angles mostly, it gives a very quick prerender compared to the others but takes longer overall to finish than either 3 or 4 bounces I think. It is more of a utility setting and not what you would use outside of light and shadow checking.

Great. Thanks. There isn't an immediate anything when Hidden Line is used with it :)

24 minutes ago, JimW said:

Often we encourage setting up dual render styles, a final one and then a "Working" rendering mode that shows previews very quickly but that you would rarely even allow to finish rendering so that you could tweak things faster.

I feel like I wish listed this idea..... or maybe I'm imagining things..... the ability to switch between a preview setup and a final setup for a sheet layer viewport (maybe in Publish?). Its sort of possible by selecting a group of SLVPs and editing their render settings together.

20 minutes ago, Jonathan Pickup said:

so if you are trying to get a quick render to test the scene, leave the bounces on, reduce the over quality to speed up the rendering. 

Great advice.

Thanks to you both.

Kevin

 

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


 

7150 Riverwood Drive, Columbia, Maryland 21046, USA   |   Contact Us:   410-290-5114

 

© 2018 Vectorworks, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Vectorworks, Inc. is part of the Nemetschek Group.

×
×
  • Create New...