Page Moving between selecting layers

Hi, I have a multiple design layer and classes. Often I need to work in the same place in the drawing and switch layers to check or edit the object directly above or below.

My question, every time I select another layer the page jumps back to the centre of the drawing, moving the page back into view for each amendment to the drawing creates much extra work and mouse clicks. I have tried every setting I can think of in the preferences and page setup but nothing seems to work. I have had the odd drawing work correctly but cannot seems to find the solution or setting each time. Appreciate some guidance. Thanks.

Yes, it is in Vectorworks Preferences > Display > "centre on objects after view change"

Is your Signature correct - VW 2015 ?
(There is an SP 5 already)

Because I want that behavior of centering objects and have set it that way,
but it doesn't work anymore since VW 2016.

The view positions stays when I switch between Layers - just the way you like :) 

You could also use saved views of the part(s) you are working on where you only save the page location and zoom/pan if you want. (and if needed other things like page orientation, active layer/class etc). You can even set multiple locations that way if you are working on different parts of a large area.

Whenever you end up far away from the part you are editing you can then select the saved view and you'll be back in that part of your drawing quickly. This works better than having to approximate where you need to pan to.

The center on objects works well if the total drawing content area is not too large relative to the part you are working on, but I prefer saved views as that is saved in the document and works for other people as well if you share the file with someone else.

Hi Thanks for the reply/s. I have turned on and off the "centre on objects after view change" this makes no difference 'Behaviour does not change'

The saved views I do use but more for larger changes when I need to save other things with the view, may end up having to go there in the end.

The current project is 12 apartments on a site where I am modifying one of them in a corner, (As Artv says) the total drawing content is too large to fit on a page, so keep dragging the page back to the corner to edit. It has worked in the past (but only randomly on various jobs) but I cannot seem to make it work now. The job started with a big import of existing .DWG, reset origins to centre of drawing and on and off with the 'Preferences'. 

Thanks for the advice....

1 minute ago, markdd said:

The only other thing I can think of is checking that Unified View is enabled

Mark

Hi Mark, you hit it on the head. If 'Unified view' is off then in 2D the pages stay in the same place. I do draw a lot in 3D so its flicking the unified view button between the various 'states' that takes some management. I have found when I do complex junctions in 3D best to put on their own layer and centre in the drawing both in Top and R/L view this makes managing the 3D much easier. Thanks for your help.

Zoomer: I do use the page area 'CMD+4' a lot, I usually only ever print though from the sheet layers. Publish the docs, then print. Exporting the sheets does not work that well.

My work style is setup the Page area and scale to provide an artificial border then work from there to the sheet layouts in the same page size. I see a lot of Autocad files where they do not work that way and have a 'football field' for a design layer, probably because they are always in 2D and need the constant visible reference. Thanks.

• 4 years later...