Printing to PDF makes Sheet Layer Viewports "out-of-date"

Whenever I save a Sheet Layer as a PDF (File > Print... > Save as PDF), all of my Viewports get the red 'out-of-date' border indicating that they need updating, which they don't as I updated the SLVP immediately before saving the PDF.

I know this is a relatively minor annoyance (bug?), but it can be frustrating when you're not sure whether or not a viewport needs updating because of model changes.

Kevin - you might be on to something. If I make the PDF using File > Export > Export PDF, I do not get the 'out-of-date' border, regardless of whether 'Reset all plug-in objects...' is checked or not.

But if I make the PDF by File > Print > Save as PDF, then I get the 'out-of-date' border.

The 'Export PDF' dialogue box gives you more options than the OS Print 'Save as PDF' dialogue box, as the OS Print does not have the options to uncheck 'Reset all plug-in objects that require a reset...' or 'Update visible out of date viewports..'.

Maybe I need to start using Export PDF.

Not seeing that here. Print/Save to pdf (Mac OS) does not make any Sheet Layer Viewports go out of date. My Print/Save dialog includes an update PIO option. Tested the Print/Save with that enabled and without. Same result = nothing changed to out of date after the Save.

Design layers include some walls, spheres and a few other pio objects.

-B

I'm not actually sure which plug-in objects update beyond the Data Stamp.....

Editing a symbol can cause Viewports to go out of date. So can undoing something Viewport related.

KM

I just meant that my drawing has some parametric objects present. Print/Save as PDF does not trigger out of date with these particular PIOs present, unless they are manually changed in the design layer.

I wonder if certain other PIOs cause the out of date status just because they are present - date stamp could be one if it is constantly updating automatically.

It seems reasonable to me that changing stuff on design layer, eg modifying a PIO object, would cause out of date. But just running the OS Print to PDF should not cause the update. I can't force an out of date status via the Print/Save to PDF command.

-B

I just meant that my drawing has some parametric objects present. Print/Save as PDF does not trigger out of date with these particular PIOs present, unless they are manually changed in the design layer.

I wonder if certain other PIOs cause the out of date status just because they are present - date stamp could be one if it is constantly updating automatically.

It seems reasonable to me that changing stuff on design layer, eg modifying a PIO object, would cause out of date. But just running the OS Print to PDF should not cause the update. I can't force an out of date status via the Print/Save to PDF command.

-B

The Data Stamp updates before printing or PDFing if the "Reset all plug-in objects that require a reset prior to exporting" checkbox. I have a feeling that's why this preference was implemented. It doesn't update otherwise unless you edit it or drag it on the drawing. I always keep it on my Sheet Layers because of this. I wonder if JimW can tell us what other objects update when this box is checked. I wonder if Marionette objects update....

KM

I usually enable the Document Pref>Save VP Cache. That one prevents many updates.

I use the Print/Save to PDF constantly because of what Publish does to text. (see several other threads about garbled and rasterized text).

-B

I always have the Save VP Cache turned on as I have many SLVPs with RW Styles, it would take hours to update them all at once (especially since Batch Rendering appears to be broken). I accidentally forgot to uncheck the 'update all out of date viewports' on the Publish dialogue: I won't make that mistake again.

I have many many parametric objects on my design layers, I understand that any changes to design layer objects should trigger out of date viewports. That's how it should work.

Here's what I do to trigger the out-of-date viewports just by printing:

1. I make all the design layer changes and go to my sheet layer;

2. Update all SLVPs on that sheet

3. I print a PDF by File > Print > Save as PDF

4. When it finishes saving as PDF, all my viewports are out of date.

Am I correct that not everyone is seeing this behavior where just a Save as PDF is triggering out-of-date viewports?

If so - it must be my Vw installation (it has been almost an entire week since I reset my Vw preferences ;) ) and I'll have to start using File > Export PDF.

Thanks all for the feedback!