Deform Tool Bend

Benson Shaw

Question

The Bend Solid mode offers buttons for Symmetric Mode and Finite Length Mode.

Click either mode button to activate.

The chosen button darkens.

It is possible to click/darken both buttons.

It is possible to have neither button enabled/dark

Is there some additional functionality with both modes selected?

Shouldn't this be an either/or selection, but not both/none?

Bug?

Edit-Further comment:

Neither selected acts like Finite Bend

Both selected acts like Symmetric Bend

-B

ubbthreads.php?ubb=download&Number=14555&filename=Symmetric&Finite.png

Edited by Benson Shaw

7 answers to this question

The icon for the "Finite Length Mode" is perhaps a bit misleading, in my opinion, especially when right next to the icon for Symmetric Mode.

It actually controls something completely different: whether the length of the object 'beyond' the bend spine (your second and third clicks) also bends or whether it maintains its original shape (tangent to the new bent part).

I've attached an image demonstrating this and how the four combinations of modes work. I clicked in the same three spots in the same order for each object.

BTW, I completely agree that this is not apparent. In fact I simply avoided the last mode for the longest time till I actually sat down and figured out what it was.

ubbthreads.php?ubb=download&Number=14556&filename=DeformToolModes.PNG

Edited by AEB

Well spotted, AEB!

Looks like this could be a swell new font, or perhaps is path to cracking some of the local graffiti cyphers.

A shorter bend spine makes a difference and the spine has a direction.

My initial tests (lower series) had the 2nd click to define the bend spine way up above the object. Spine too long for Finite Mode to make a difference.

In my upper series I tried the same combos with shorter spine. When only the Finite mode is active, the bend starts at 1st click and bends section btw 1st and 2nd click (the spine). Lower leg stays in place because not in direction of the spine.

When both modes active, the bend centers on 1st click, bends length of the spine, and symmetrically moves legs on either side of the bend.

Things can get crazy bends if the initial object is not straight. Try unbending one of these puppies for instance!

VWX Help shows this to some extent. Also in Help, reasonably, 1st click is counted for selecting the object.

-B

ubbthreads.php?ubb=download&Number=14557&filename=Bend%20Spines.png

Edited by Benson Shaw

@Kevin - I just wish I could always be completely correct and crystal clear. It often gets partial or muddy. Which gives me great admiration for those actually tasked with writing the HELP topics, teaching & training, video creators, and of course for all the great volunteer work of this community.

@Jim -That's a good video. Thanks!

FYI

Search 2016 Vectorworks HELP with terms "deform bend".

•The top two hits both have discussion of the bend functions.

•The top hit is limited overview, and links to the video.

•The 2nd hit is deeper examination with text and drawings, but no link to the video.

Maybe add the video link?

-B

ubbthreads.php?ubb=download&Number=14562&filename=Bend%20HELP.png

Edited by Benson Shaw