Create Roof

If you Ungroup one (or both) of the Roof objects, you'll end up with a bunch of Roof Faces. You can then Add/subtract Surface from any Roof Face to create what you want. Of course when you Ungroup you lose the parametric capabilities of a Roof. But FWIW, I almost always end up with Roof Faces because I actually prefer them at/after a certain point in a project.

I'm a bit surprised you got the warning.

Did you nominate a hipped roof at the start? Maybe it would have worked if you had started with gables and then added the hips.

On another note, do you want the wall lines showing across internal doors? Maybe you have a Ceiling class turned on.

This is the roof plan I wanted. I deleted what I had done before and did it over. The second time it worked.

Question: In edit roof settings, what is the 'Bearing Height' a reference to? The floor immediately below the roof or what. If so, why in layer settings can you set the elevation for a roof? There are so many dang places to input a wall height, a layer elevation a story height a bearing height....

My hat is off to those of you that have figured it all out and can produce nice elevations and sections.

Edited by jmartinarch

The bearing height is the height of the roof - at the line you draw to indicate slope - above the layer height that it is placed in.

I find it useful to have roofs on their own layer. Then it's a fielder's choice situation to set the roof layer height to the plate height for that story and enter 0 for the bearing height

or

set the roof layer height equal to the floor height for that story and enter the plate height into the bearing height field.

I find that I often have situations with multiple plate heights in a given floor and it's easier on my little brain to use the second method.

But I've done several projects the other way. When using stories to their potential it's pretty cool.

hth

mk

Guest Wes Gardner

I typically recommend roofs be placed on their own layer and that layer's "Z" be the plate height of most of the roofs. You will need to adjust for additional plate heights.