advice on Design Layer Export between VW Files

davidwd

Hi ,

I was searching on for quick advice ....

Have a file with metal stair structure modelled - Various Objects (i.e. Stair Risers etc) set out on various design layers set to varying base heights by layer elevation to ground plane.

for site plan etc I need to export this model to an existing VW file site layout , however with copy and paste all objects are copied to existing Design Layer with different "0" Datum height and obviously the whole model shifts.

I m sure there is a way to export design layers from one file to another with all information & object positions intact , but cannot find the process for this .....

Any advice would be much appreciated .

If you have access to both files you should be able to do this. The process is more about importing than exporting.

1) Open the file site layout.

2) Create a new layer. When the dialog box opens choose Import Design Layers instead.

3) Click on the Choose button and navigate to the file containing the objects/layers you want to import into the site layout. Select it and a list of layers will appear in the dialog.

4) Select the layer(s) you want to import. Make sure the Import Layer Objects checkbox is checked.

5) Click ok and your layers and objects will be imported.

Kevin

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
If you have access to both files you should be able to do this. The process is more about importing than exporting.

1) Open the file site layout.

2) Create a new layer. When the dialog box opens choose Import Design Layers instead.

3) Click on the Choose button and navigate to the file containing the objects/layers you want to import into the site layout. Select it and a list of layers will appear in the dialog.

4) Select the layer(s) you want to import. Make sure the Import Layer Objects checkbox is checked.

5) Click ok and your layers and objects will be imported.

Kevin

^ This is the best method. ^

It is detailed more here:

http://kbase.vectorworks.net/questions/790/Layer+Import

and here, if that helps: