drawing sheets need to go

its seems that drawing sheets need to go by by. iPads used to view model in its current state. construction team shares construction planes (not pdfs) that are locked in relation to model. so i say lets look at construction plane "1st floor@4ft" and everyone can select it on their iPad. no sheets or scales, data & dims are part of the model.

every different person on the project needs there own view of the model. currently this is done through sheets with viewports.

we have cabinet drawings, electrical, HVAC and the list is endless.. once the model is build the iPad should filter the model to what i want see. so if I'm the millwork guy then i can view all the millwork in the model AND the context around it

It will be a long day before we will wean from a static sheet that can be rolled and thrown on the dash. Till the day after that sheets need to stay.

Now a 3d pdf is an altogether different animal - static meets model in an organized environment. (note to Adobe: please fix the horrible interface)

i suppose the model would be exported in IFC and in the cloud. then anyone can "view" it with their preferred software & THEY can make drawing sheet pdfs.

the problem with drawings sheets is that you have to take information from the model and put it on a static sheet. this is a problem waiting to happen. if you have a complete model why translate it into a narrow view?

& THEY can make drawing sheet pdfs.

... if you have a complete model why translate it into a narrow view?

I guess because as designers we want to/need to have control of what information is included & not omitted from the pdf, including information not available on a 3d model no matter how well constructed it is, e.g.:

Notes describing methods and materials

Worksheets reporting quantities

Graphic elements indicating relative importance, styling, details, logos etc.

Could some of the 2d be incorporated into 3d, perhaps dynamically depending on the view - yes. I think it's a valid point you raise but I would reframe it that Sheet Layers need to become a window to a model where all the goodness of the careful organization and construction of a project in 3d is available to the end user depending upon their needs.

One of the most valuable aspects of paper is that it is static.

There must be a way to define the construction task of the moment and not get caught up the changes in process. If nothing else the cost implications of every change need to be calculated.

Or we can lock the model and declare no changes can happen during construction. :/

models are going to contain so much information (already experiencing this now) that we will be facing this situation again (see below) but with zillions of drawing sheets instead of wires.

"The tyranny of numbers was a problem faced in the 1960s by computer engineers. Engineers were unable to increase the performance of their designs due to the huge number of components involved. In theory, every component needed to be wired to every other component (or at least many other components), and were typically strung and soldered by hand. In order to improve performance, more components would be needed, and it seemed that future designs would consist almost entirely of wiring."

hence, we need to get rid of the "wiring" i.e. drawing sheets with dims and annotations. need to pull dims right off model and pull info right off 3d objects

Edited by digitalmechanics

as for locking the model for construction. there is a point where it transfers over to an "as built" model so why not keep the model live. as each discipline finishes its work then the model updates to show everyone that it changed..

also, trying to keep it static does not reflect reality. that is why paper gets all marked up and companies like bluebeam.com manage pdfs because of all the changes during construction

so bluebeam works like this:

mark up pdfs

adjust model and resubmit pdf

redistribute pdf to everyone

so the model is not locked even now. its alway going to be "vibrating"

you just have to have a way to let everyone know what changed when it is changed. otherwise you could go crazy thinking "what happened to the wall that was here yesterday"

Edited by digitalmechanics