Multi-View Symbols

Tom Klaber

Question

It would be amazing if symbols could have more than 1 projection associated with them. In the same way a symbol can have a 2D component, and a 3D component, I would like symbols to have the ability to have separate plan, right, and left components. This way, 1 symbol for example could represent a door type (for example) everywhere. The 3D model, the plan representation, and the elevational projections both in the interior and exterior projections could be held and edited in 1 place - updating in all drawings holding holding this symbol.

When a multi-view symbol (for a lack of a better name) is placed or selected, the object info palette would offer a selection drop down where you can select the projection you want the symbol to display.

11 answers to this question

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Ooooooh, Multi-Planar symbols?

I suppose they could still be called Hybrid Symbols actually, just increase the number of areas a user could add geometry in. Instead of just a 2D and 3D component, a 2D Top, 2D Left and Right and Front, Bottom and Back.

The Font/Back, Top/Bottom and Left/Right could have options to just add the one set of 2D geometry and have a "mirror" image on the opposing side, to prevent users from just having to manually do that twice per symbol. Any time a change was made to one side, if they were linked, the change would be mirrored on the opposite side.

To resolve the issue of Screen vs Layer planes, each of the sub-components could have an individual setting for which it displayed.

I'd be interested to hear other users thoughts on this as well.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

That seems like it would get into what Auto-Hybrids are intended for, but on the sides rather than just the top. Where a cut plane can be specified.

After some of the major inefficiencies of auto hybrids are cleaned up, that may very well be a good ability to add there. Or a combination of the abilities of both auto hybrids and hybrid symbols.

I would think that allowing users to add custom geometry would be important too though, since they may want to add text or images here instead of a representation of the 3D geometry. Sort of like an image prop.

How about "self aware of view" so that a 2d projection could be switched on for any view without having to add specific 2d geometry. Sort of automatic hidden line projection to some specified plane (screen plane?). Maybe it needs a slider to choose how much detail.

-B

This is not bad idea - but I would rather have control over the geometry. Our interior elevations are usually drawn in "Top Plan" - and I would want to select the view to show. I also would rather draw in 2D - rather than have to model the door to generate the projection.

The Font/Back, Top/Bottom and Left/Right could have options to just add the one set of 2D geometry and have a "mirror" image on the opposing side, to prevent users from just having to manually do that twice per symbol. Any time a change was made to one side, if they were linked, the change would be mirrored on the opposite side.

To resolve the issue of Screen vs Layer planes, each of the sub-components could have an individual setting for which it displayed.

Yes! Please! This would be so helpful - not just as a time saver - but as a coordination tool as well.

7 hours ago, Matt Overton said:

This would save a lot of highly detailed models of toilets that don't produce decent internal elevations on the best of days. 

That is exactly what I am thinking.  There are a lot of mesh BIM objects that do not look so great in hidden line.  My office would gladly spend the time to embed the front and sides if it meant a prettier drawing.

• Like 1