Universal Font Size

Jim Smith

Question

I would like to have a "Universal Font Size" so when I edit the odd Text on the Design layer it is the same size as the font in a Viewport. As all my Design Layers are 1:1 I have to scale Text up in the viewport to see it, and this has layout issues, or draw the font at say 500 point size, & that has its own issues...

That's why 95% of our Text is in Anno Layer, but would like the option.

9 answers to this question

Setting a Design Layer to 1:1 in Vectorworks isn't a good practice. It wasn't originally designed to function that way. And although it has evolved so you now can do that, I personally wouldn't, It tends to cause problems. That is really an AutoCAD way of working. I much prefer VW's way, which is to set the scale of the Design Layer to what you will print at (or create a SLVP at).

I know, working with multiple SLVP's at different scales throws a monkey wrench into that workflow.

Mike & Monadnoc

Thanks, but no.

Yeah, you're describing the olde MiniCad-early-iteration of Vectorworks way of working. Having multiple layers of different scales is arbitrary and causes no end of grief and mental gymnastics going between Site, Plan, Detail, Elevation and Sections, Working Drawings and Instructions; not to mention graphic objects.

Got 5 or 6 different Design Layer Scales? Want to show each of these Layers in one Viewport? How about co-ordinating that house (1:50) on the site plan (1:200) with the imported Water Feature plan (3/8") ? Ah, sorry, but thanks for playing! (Hey everybody! we don't have Twister but we have Layer Linking!)

Importing/exporting information to/from consultants and clients? Hope you had nothing planned for the weekend!

But, like the man said, there is no ONE WAY to do stuff in Vectorworks, but for my money, time and effort, attempting to manage more than one Design Layer Scale in a document is like herding cats.

While on acid.

Outside.

On a dark night.

In the snow.

Without shoes.

While your neighbours scream they're going to call the cops.

... Then Rob Ford shows up to party.

Mike & Monadnoc

Got 5 or 6 different Design Layer Scales? Want to show each of these Layers in one Viewport? How about co-ordinating that house (1:50) on the site plan (1:200) with the imported Water Feature plan (3/8") ? Ah, sorry, but thanks for playing! (Hey everybody! we don't have Twister but we have Layer Linking!)

Importing/exporting information to/from consultants and clients? Hope you had nothing planned for the weekend!

But, like the man said, there is no ONE WAY to do stuff in Vectorworks, but for my money, time and effort, attempting to manage more than one Design Layer Scale in a document is like herding cats.

While on acid.

Outside.

On a dark night.

In the snow.

Without shoes.

While your neighbours scream they're going to call the cops.

... Then Rob Ford shows up to party.

Yup, that's the monkey wrench I was talking about.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

I agree that it is currently somewhat cumbersome, but how do you think this should be implemented?

If the fonts are actually altered to different values based on zoom level, then I can see massive slowness as hundreds/thousands of text objects are updated with every turn of the mouse wheel.

If the UI simply inflates the fonts artificially, then I am not sure how you would be able to align text in the proper location without going back to 100% zoom every time.

I don't see how this can go well, but as always, i'm open to suggestions... much like Rob Ford.