Wall Features need to work at the ends of walls

Christiaan

Question

Whenever I have a project that could make use of Vectorworks Wall Features (projections/recesses) I find that I always need to be able to do at least some of the projections/recesses at wall ends and corners. But we can't.

Without this capability the Wall Feature feature in Vectorworks is little more than a tick box in a marketing matrix.

This is a thread for posting examples of wall features that need to work at the ends or corners of walls. Please feel free to add your examples.

• Like 1

8 answers to this question

Here's one I came across today. It's bay window junction that changes from cavity wall construction to single skin construction. I want to be able to square off the red brickwork as shown in the 'wanted' screenshot (which I think the Wall Projection feature would be useful for). The 'achievable' screenshot is as close as I can get with the wall tool.

ubbthreads.php?ubb=download&Number=9817&filename=achievable%20(plan%20view).png

ubbthreads.php?ubb=download&Number=9818&filename=wanted%20(plan%20view).png

It would be nice to be able to model exterior horizontal stucco reveals that converge at wall corners. Also the similar condition when using wall panels that are separated by an x, y grid of horizontal and vertical reveals.

The convergence of battered walls at the corners is another example.

Edited by J Lucas

+1

We need to be able to run a wall into a column - and an end-enabled wall feature would be ideal for this.

And/or - allowing the creation of non-rectangular architectural columns which allow wall joins on any face.

And/or - combine the Pillaster tool into the Column tool.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
23 hours ago, Christiaan said:

@Matt Panzer with all the improvements to the wall tool over the past ten years, are we now in a position where wall features (projections/recesses) could be improved to go right up to the outside corners of walls?

[please upvote everybody, just moved this thread to the wishlist]

We certainly are in a better position to do this.  I believe what needs to done to make this happen would be to make wall features truly part of the wall rather than the current method of using a plug-in object.  This has been on our radar since the initial Wall Modernization task in Vectorworks 2022.  Of course, "when" is always harder to say...

• Like 3
  • Love 1