import from sketchup (why)

Hi,

I just don't get this option at all. I have to save to sketchup 8 (latest version sketch up 2013 does not work in VW 2014).

If I import and then map the geometry using material then why does it not bring in the material. It knows about it as I have just mapped it so just bring it in with the import.

The only reliable way is via .3DS

Does anyone use this import option and if they do how do you use it (for what purpose)?

thanks

It's always been a mystery to me why you would ever have an import option that doesn't bring in the materials/textures when it could. C4D does the same thing with .OBJ files. Only the geometry. AutoCAD does it with everything - I haven't been able to bring in anything with materials. Even FBX, their own invention, brings in materials in every application except AutoCAD.

It would be wonderful if the Import Sketchup option in VW imported materials/textures. Maybe something for the Wish List.

Perhaps the problem is that Sketchup surfaces are like Vw 2D planar objects and therefore what you are seeing in Sketchup is mapped images onto planar objects.

Once imported into Vw the Sketchup surfaces become 3D polygons and for materials to show on these they would have to be converted to textures. Therein lies an issue because textures can only exist and be seen on 3D surfaces in Vw if you have Renderworks as well.

• 2 months later...

However during an import elements could be copied and converted into different things. Each face should become a 3D surface with a fill color and a texture applied. If you don't have RW then you only see the solid fills.

When importing the object(s) should appear EXACTLY like they did in the other software, to the limits of the new software.

The worst thing is when nothing happens at all. I am currently working with a file that does not import anything except through .3DS. Other silliness is "components" not becoming symbols and layers not importing.

Yes this has been wish listed, I imagine many times over the years.

this is a strange one fort the imports of a.3ds file

it will bring the materials in from a sketchup model the only thing as you are probable aware that one the sketchup file is open its only a matter of exporting to .3ds

yep i know its a pain but only takes a minute or so, it seems to work ok from sketchup for a 3ds

but i purchased a model a 3ds of a vase of tulips

30 dollars great model but when i bring this in and render theres no materials and better still the tulips are not even in the glass vase i have posted the import file form vectorworks and what its supposed to look like after i took the same file into artlantis....i give up, i know this subject has been discussed many times on the forum but maybe vectorworks just can't bring this in from a stand alone .3ds

the work i do means i have to import 3ds files for my renders that why i model in vectorworks and render in artlantis, if i could import i would just use renderworks

interesting subject but with no happy conclusion