vw Conclusion

Hi

After being away from vw for almost a year now, I thought I'll test out vw a bit this past weekend. It look me +/-10 minutes to figure out I'll probably not be coming back to vw in it's current state.

I downloaded the latest vw2013 & C4D14 and tested them both.

Vw still can't handle anything that's non linear, its representation of curved solids is amazingly inaccurate, inconsistent and random.

FAIL.

Vw doesn't have realtime interactive rendering for hidden line rendering or the other modes.

FAIL.

There's no interactive elevations and sections. I can't model in these views!

FAIL.

No multi-core and 64 bit support.

FAIL.

Non destructive 3D fillets are not supported.

FAIL.

No 3D hatches! Now that's amazing in the modern age we live in.

FAIL!

Lack of customisability to roof and stair components.

And the MOST IMPORTANT OF ALL:

The link between C4D and vw DOES NOT work. Send to C4D, change materials, modify model in vw, send to C4D, all material settings are lost. Also, not all geometry is updated in C4D. This makes the vw/C4D combination unusable. Although Nemetschek owns both these software, it seems these 2 programs are fighting with each other. Autodesk seems to be a much more professional choice, the Revit/3dsMax relationship is far superior to vw/C4D one.

MAJOR FAIL!!

Because of the above, I've come to the conclusion, if I want to be serious about design, Nemetschek can't be an option. Sad to say especially C4D is such a great tool.

There's no interactive elevations and sections. I can't model in these views!

If I remember correctly, these are the only views Revit can edit objects in - the 3D views limit its editing ability. In the opposite sense, Vectorworks can edit anything at all in 3D views. I actually prefer to edit in 3D views anyway, just as I do in Sketchup.

Hi

@Kizza

Actually don't miss anything from vw but if I had to choose it would be the smart cursor, linetypes and tile fills.

Revit is extremely stable however the project I'm currently on is super large. It's so large that all disciplines have to split their models into various sectors and we then link those files into our revit models. Although all the models are split they still combine to create 1 model and this 1 model is being worked on simultaneously by +/-40-60 modellers in Adelaide, Melbourne & Argentina. Its extremely complicated but revit allows you to do this.

The nature of this project is that models take extremely long to open up +/-30min. Most of you would now use this against Revit but I assure you, vw will not come close to handling this project especially it's not 64bit. Btw, I would be lying if I said revit doesn't crash but it's rare and it doesn't crash the system.

@StructuralBIMGuy

I wouldn't worry about that too much as I won't be using vw for a long time. Put it this way, when Nemetschek allows me to create windows, doors, etc. WITHOUT coding (ala families), then I'll upgrade (which means never? But I also said I'll "never" use Autodesk again).

Put it this way, when Nemetschek allows me to create windows, doors, etc. WITHOUT coding (ala families), then I'll upgrade

I don't do ANY coding when I make windows or doors - do you do something else besides clicking on the Window or Door Tool button, and clicking again on the plan?

If you're referring to the Object Info Palette, I would much prefer to resize a door using sizes in fields, rather than manually re-drawing the frame, glass and muntins in a Revit family - it takes much more time to do that! There are more time-saving things I can go on about in favor of Vw, but I'm limited for time right now.

would much prefer to resize a door using sizes in fields, rather than manually re-drawing the frame, glass and muntins in a Revit family - it takes much more time to do that!

FYI: Once the window/door/(or anything else for that matter) is manually created (including as many parameters as you wish) changing window sizes is done in the same way in Revit as in VWs, all the parameters you set/created appear in the Revit 'OIP'!? Creating a family in Revit is basically the same as creating a hybrid symbol in VWs with the addition of side/section views etc.......the big difference is it's a parametric hybrid symbol.

An example: in VWs we have control over the frame width and depth that's it, in Revit you could create a window with a very complicated frame with all the attributes editable in the OIP as long as you define the parameters in the Family when creating it. Theoretically you could even include glazing putty and make the sizes editable in the OIP.

Edited by Vincent C