My biggest hope for VWA v2014

My biggest hope come mid-September is that NV has developed the ability to produce elevations from our models without having to render; aka vector-based elevations, OpenGL shaded, 3D hatches, etc.

I've just picked up a model for a large project we're working on to update some elevations for re-tendering purposes. Absolute disaster. Corrupted references and missing objects have meant it's taken far more time than it should of (in fact we're currently delaying the re-tendering process and the boss is ticking this up as another score against working in 3D)... all compounded many times over by the fact that we have to render everything over and over until we resolve the problem...

We can't continue to work like this.

My biggest hope is that we will see a significant increase in speed of development.

If VWs continues to lag behind even faster than they already are, there's really no reason to stick with it. (I actually installed one of the 2 unused Revit licenses we had 'lying around' the office last week on my Parallels partition in anticipation of a larger industrial project we might get the green light for after the summer holidays, (not much use for flashy presentations and 3D in that) haven't really decided yet which to use yet?!

Edited by Vincent C
I actually installed one of the 2 unused Revit licenses we had 'lying around' the office last week on my Parallels partition

Does it run ok in Parallels? Would have thought it would be much faster if booted into Bootcamp?

Well I only opened it and fiddled a little with a demo project in OpenGL, wasn't slower than VWs in OpenGL at least :grin: (I must add that I have my Windows 7 on an external HD because my SSD is too small, so perhaps it works even better with Windows directly installed on the local HD.)

I can agree with that too Vincent. They're too far behind on implementing commonplace technologies while the platforms they run on leap forward. I've been investigating Solidworks (also PC only) myself since I need a architecture/industrial design hybrid. VW will be hard to replace but if it can't keep up....

Kevin

A SWs retailer called me the other day and I took the opportunity to ask them if they were working on architecture tools and she insinuated they were......I also asked about the development of a Mac version and that too was not met with a negative reaction, don't know how much was advertising and how much was truth though!?

Edited by Vincent C

Mine is 64 bit OS.

Updated OIP (tabbed)?

Real world options for stairs and railings (balusters & newels)

Options to select or use custom profiles for door and window trim.

Automatic cutout of openings at baseboard and chair rail.

Auto sink cutouts for countertops.

Roof options for hip or full hip returns. Need to create currently.

Better wall framing tool - needs major overhaul.

Hierarchy for wall styles

EAP - set origin point of profile initially

I've just picked up a model for a large project we're working on to update some elevations for re-tendering purposes. Absolute disaster. Corrupted references and missing objects have meant it's taken far more time than it should of

Christiaan, not to highjack this thread, but can you elaborate on what happened with your corrupted references?

I have one project with an external reference to a 2D architectural drawing. This reference shows as a greyed layer behind three pages of plans. When I generated a draft PDF today the references were missing from it. I couldn't for the life of me figure out what was going on until I remembered it was referenced. Vectorworks gives you no warnings and happily displays the cached reference on screen. When I clicked on the Reference Pane in the Navigation Palette there it was in red, a broken reference link. Everything worked fine yesterday for an earlier draft PDF and the linked file was never moved. I did have one of those rendering out of memory errors today so I wonder if that's related to broken references. It would be great to track down the referencing bug.

Kevin

My wishes for VW14 are:

- roofcomponents,

- interactive sections and elevations,

- more intelligent materials (like the ones in ArchiCAD 17 for example),

- elevations with 3d hatches and shadow (no need to render either OpenGL or render works),

- being able to have a window span 2 or more stories,

- a curtainwall tool!

I'm hoping NNA will have something great in store for VW14. We're already looking for other programs at the moment ie. ArchiCAD. And will probably change a couple of licenses if there aren't enough changes...