Buggy Software

Kizza

I think it must be VWs biggest put-off for new and existing users.....incomplete or missing tools can be taken into consideration by adjusting a workflow and the time this consumes is known and can be planned for, bugginess on the other hand can (and has) seriously jeapordize project planning and cause major problems for users vs clients and other disciplines!

Edited by Vincent C

As a tip, I'm still working in Vw 2013, but for my important files, I'm saving down to a previous version. That way, if the Vw 2013 app fails big time, I can always fall back to a plan B, and open the file in Vw 2012.

Also, the automatic 15 minute backup file has recovered my work from an unexpected crash more than once.

Edited by Bob-H

Christiaan,

I believe there is a long term strategy to improve things on a limited crisis basis as a response....but otherwise yes, VW will always be like this. It has always been like this. Why would it change now? They are surviving on their current business model.

In traffic studies here in the US it has been shown that automobile drivers are highly tolerant of construction zone inconveniences and low speeds when they know highway improvements are forthcoming.

I wish NNA would take this to heart, work for a year (or however long) removing the potholes and realigning the existing VW while we drivers remain in the construction zone. Just make what we have now WORK.

2013 was not a very compelling release.

Edited by bc

Only other software I get occasional crashes from is Firefox.

Not going to touch VW 2013.

Anyway, I've taken my first step in moving towards a Windows based CAD workstation. Purchased an i7 system and will gradually move over to Revit.

Unfortunately, Revit LT is not available in Australia, so it's the full version for me.

Downside is I see no choice but to move away from the mac platform - however, I need to move on.

VincentC:

You are spot on.

The lack of documented workflows and poorly implemented tools as well as the lack of certain features has made my experience with VW one hell of a ride.

i've just begun to read the book 'inside vectorworks - integrierte planungsarbeit'. it's the 2010 edition by the 'cadforum architektur und gestaltung verlag', referring to vw2010 features in german version.

the longer i was in the stuff, the more it amazed me. i've found things i haven't ever seen in the american version: new menu items (programmed by computerworks, the german distributor of the software), new possible workflows (f.i. generating static sections from the 3d model as an alternative to section viewports, binding design layers into a 3d model on a separate design layer making possible the creation of flat elevations on a design layer) a.s.o.

and i am just now in the first third of the book.

ok, the german version prices at eur4,000 + vat (fundamentals + architect), but i can't see the reason why software engineers inside one vendor don't exchange their ideas and maybe even code chunks.

i am willing to pay more for improved functionality, and it's not the case it is not here. it simply gets developed elsewhere.

rob

gester,

Point well taken but just so you know, 2D and 3D static sections were the original means to that end and have been around for as long as I can remember. Still are under legacy. I add them back to my workspace with every upgrade.

Unless I misunderstand your stated functionality....

Edited by bc

well, i don't own a german version, and all i can see are the pictures of the drop down menu items, which are quite a few, compared with the int'l version and the described possible workflows, which extend the standard release.

what i can also see is a certain logic in the structure of the development. i see, say, graphically prepared (and provided with radio buttons) 14 various window rabbet or 9 various sash options and i can say: the guys at computerworks understand the architecture business.

so why not talk to them while preparing the next releases (or to other architecture savvy guys)?

well, enough of this rant, i'm not the only one suggesting this.

rob