simplify 2d polygons

ray isaacs

Question

there should be a straight forward way to simplify 2d polygons with accurate results. (maybe there is and i haven't figured it out.)

when making a context model using imported dxf/dwg data, shapes representing roads, etc. can have 10's of thousands of vertices each, which overwelms the dtm. right now i have to convert the polys into 3d polys, simplify them (which reduces them to less than 200 vertices), then convert them back to 2d, then redraw parts of them that are inaccurate. on some projects this process simply isn't worth it and i stick with 2d, until we get to a later stage requiring much less context--or i do rough 3d modeling in sketchup.

cheers,

ray

4 answers to this question

DTM source data can include 3d loci. I have used Duplicate Along Path to replace contour polys with a series of loci duplicated along each contour. Make a class for each z value, group the loci for each contour when they are created, and assign them to the appropriate z value class. Each z can even have a color - or major/minor colors if that's less visual clutter.

May not help with the roads, but in general, this is a way to control the vertex count when DTM polys are out of control.

-B