Wall changes to line

I'm new to VW but not to CAD 2012 Design w/ Renderworks.

Several questions, today

I imported a dwg. It came in as one VW layer with several classes. That seems fine.

So far I am working on walls (only about 10 walls) and doors, tracing over the dwg with wall and curved wall tools and adding doors. I'm almost finished but could I have converted the dwg walls to VW walls easily?

It has 2 curved walls one came out fine, the other is fine as long as the height is 0. When I make it 20' tall it turns into two straight pink (?) lines with a center point at the apogee of the curve in plan view and in perspective view it is 4 lines -- curved top and bottom and vertical ends. In plan view with 0 height it looks just like all the other walls. All of the settings for the two curved walls seem to be the same.

Also everything looks fine in plan view but when I switch to perspective the dwg layer stays flat and unrotated and my walls look like they are supposed to, except for the pervious issue. Is there a way to make them stay together or is that just how it is?

Is this the best place to pose these questions of is there a better place. I found a beginners forum but the last post was in 2010 I think.

If the dwg file was created in Autodesk Architecture (previously Architectural Desktop) and they were Wall objects to begin with, then yes you can bring them in as 3d "walls". Although they won't be editable. It is much faster and accurate to just redraw them with the corresponding tools in VW. I haven't tried using the IFC import, but walls may come in as editable walls using that (but I don't think so).

The "straight lines" in your curved walls are probably due to a low 3d resolution setting. Go to Vectorworks > Preferences > 3d > 3d conversion res = High or Very High.

You may also want to go to File > Document Settings > Document Preferences > Display > and select "Mesh smoothing with crease angle" and set it to 70 or higher.

As for the "flat and unrotated" dwg layer lines. Make sure they are all set to "Layer Plane". Select them all and in the Obj Info palette make sure "Plane" is set to "Layer". If you always want 2d objects to project as "flattened" 3d, also make sure the Plane is set to "layer" by default up in the top Tool Bar pull-down.

You may also want to activate "Unified View" under the View menu, if it isn't already on. This will align different layers correctly in 3d view.

I'm just going to keep asking questions as long as you keep answering since you really seem to know what you are doing.

If you are too busy or just don't want to answer -- no hard feelings

Earlier today I drew a polyline object. When I tried to extrude it only the edges seemed to have any structure and the face that I actually extruded was empty. This afternoon it all seems to work and I tried different settings and can't make it repeat.

Any idea what I did?

If I draw or extract a polygon shape and extrude it I can easily use the Fillet edge tool to round all of the edges.

If I do the same to a polyline shape I can't get it to do that again ( I did get it to work once today but no idea how) I did set the working plane to the face too.

Thanks for any help you have time for.

I'm just going to keep asking questions as long as you keep answering since you really seem to know what you are doing.

I don't know if that comment was directed at me, but if it was you sure got that wrong! Most times (and in most things) I barely know what I'm doing. I just keep muddling through until it somehow works. And then try to remember what I did.

But I do try to answer as many questions posted here as I can, if I think I might have a possible solution. Just because I know how frustrating it can be to not get any answers to posts. It happens way too frequently now-a-days, especially since some of the "old-timers" have left, and Katie is long gone (shame on you, Nemetschek, for ever letting her go!). But everyone on here is very busy, myself included. So I/we often don't have the time to post/respond. Ah, but as usual, I digress.

Earlier today I drew a polyline object. When I tried to extrude it only the edges seemed to have any structure and the face that I actually extruded was empty. This afternoon it all seems to work and I tried different settings and can't make it repeat.

Any idea what I did?

Make sure the fill is set to Solid. Or anything besides "None". If the original polyline (or any object) has no fill, it renders transparent. Even if textures are applied.

If I draw or extract a polygon shape and extrude it I can easily use the Fillet edge tool to round all of the edges.

If I do the same to a polyline shape I can't get it to do that again ( I did get it to work once today but no idea how) I did set the working plane to the face too.

Thanks for any help you have time for.

This one I have no idea about. Unless, as CipesDesign suggested, it isn't closed.

Let us know if you figure out the answer.

Or someone else does.

Edited by Monadnoc

Thanks for your help

Muddling through and help and tutorials for me but sometimes it all sounds like gibberish to me.

I believe that the problem was an unclosed poly line object.

being careful to close it I was able to pull and fillet the shape.

Is there some way to force the polyline to close when you get close? A keystroke?

Maybe I just have too many types of snap points turned on.

One more thing, can I click an object one time to grab it for a move and then click again to drop it when I'm ready? So far all I can figure out to do is click-drag-realease to move items.

Have a great weekend.

Unfortunately, there is no keystroke to automatically close the last segment of a polygon/polyline in VW. Maybe in a future release? The only way I know of is to hover over the start point until it registers and click. You may need to adjust the snap box size under the Interactive tab in the VW preferences. I find the default setting is way too big and pretty much made the snapping in VW useless. I was snapping to all kinds of points I didn't want. But once I turned it down snapping behaved way better. I have the Selection Box set to the first tick, and the snap box set to a half tick beyond it. That works for me, but I'm sure each set up will respond differently, so play with them both.

You can automatically close a polygon after it is drawn by selecting the "close" box in the Obj Info palette.

For moving objects use the Move By Points tool, in the first mode, Move Mode. I think it will do what you want. There's also a Move by Reference Point Mode (I still prefer the drag and drop technique - faster and more accurate for me - but move by points works better in some situations. It is also more AutoCadish, if that's what you're used to).

Edited by Monadnoc

A few more irritating things

Trying to push pull selecting the hidden face

I tried Opt key and it hilites the surface I want but when I click it jumps back to the first surface to to another object all together. I tried with all other key combos and sequences (alt ctl shift) Nothing works consistently. About 5% of the time it works but I can't repeat it. I also tried J and B which I found on the forum no luck.

Sometimes when I draw something with line tool or polygon tool I cant pull push. Especially if I extract a face and modify it. Any ideas?

Extrude along a path. Seems to work for a polyline but not a polygon?

What I want to do is make a molding type shape and turn it into a rectangular frame.

Have a great weekend.

Big fun down here hurricane and RNC on Monday

Michelvh you need to mouse button down to select the hilighted surface and then keep the mouse button depressed as you pull or push the surface.

As an alternative to this you can work like you do in SketchUp. ie. rotate the view of the model so the surface you want to modify or work on is not behind.