New features should be fully implemented before the next major release

Christiaan

Question

I understand that sometimes there isn't the time or resources to implement features fully for a major release, but from a (cynical) customer point of view it often feels like features are added to VW so they can be written up in a feature matrix without due regard to how people will want to use them in real life to model actual buildings.

A great example is the sculpted wall feature. It doesn't work at corners. Why would you implement such a feature and not have it work at corners? This has to be a case of not enough resources or time right? If you design such a feature you're not going to design it so that it doesn't work at corners (the only times I've ever wanted to use this feature involves corners).

If features like this can't be fully implemented that's fine, but we shouldn't have to wait until the next major release before they are. Wall sculpting at corners should have been added in a point-release after it first came out.

But it's worse. Wall sculpting was first implemented in VW 2010. There have been two major releases since then and wall sculpting still doesn't work at corners!

To be clear I'm not suggesting new features should be held back until they're at a a point where no major improvements can be made. All I'm suggesting is that feature implementation should be rolled out in such a way that makes sense to our priorities as building designers, rather than being rolled out in a way that makes sense to a programmer.

Edited by Christiaan

7 answers to this question

I understand that sometimes there isn't the time . . . .

A great example is the sculpted wall feature. It doesn't work at corners. Why would you implement such a feature and not have it work at corners? This has to be a case of not enough resources or time right? If you design such a feature you're not going to design it so that it doesn't work at corners (the only times I've ever wanted to use this feature involves corners).

But it's worse. Wall sculpting was first implemented in VW 2010. There have been two major releases since then and wall sculpting still doesn't work at corners!

Agreed . . .

Thing is, if the Fillet/Chamfer Tools ALWAYS worked as and when expected, with ANY radius, a "Wall Sculpting Tool" probably need never have had time spent on creating it in the first place . . . . . Resouces Saved.

Another example: Dormers

Insert a dormer (for many years now)and you still cannot edit the eave profile. You're stuck with vertical. What if the rest of your design is dual or square cut?

How many times have we had this subject come up?

Most PIOs are only useful as guides. Modeling is seemingly always necessary if you want it the way you want it for the most basic stuff.

A VW window is basically just single extruded polys which means that the textures map ridiculously.

add "retaining wall" tool to the list. it is a great idea and potentially a very sophisticated way to work with the terrain model. however, i would almost never design a retaining will the way the "retaining wall" tool does. instead, i use a complex combination of other tools: side modifiers, extrudes, solids, walls, nurbs curves, or whatever necessary for the situation.

this is a long running issue i have with vw. they have a lot of good ideas, but there is a disconnect between the idea and utility. i'm hanging on for a while in hopes that things get better.

Ray, I am with you there! How about a tool that will work similar to the wall tool in architect. we draw our line but can specify the materials, i.e. stone, drain rock, filter fabric, etc...

This would work for almost anything and have the ability to set TOW and BOW elevations. We would also be able to apply textures and images to the wall for graphic representation.

However we would need the ability to set base, caps, geo stabilization and so on. but a better tool for sure would be nice.