Displaying X Y Location Coordanites

I have searched this forum, and the VW help and can't figure it out.

I want a symbol to display it's XY location.

Seems pretty simple.

I can make a lighting device show it's location, but I would rather not have to complicate the drawing with extra lighting devices.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

I tried creating a record format, put can't find a way to populate the format to with XY info.

You can use the stake object. From v2012 it can now show the x and y co?rdinates.

My bad I should have stated I'm on 2010.

I saw that tool, but $1100 is a bit much for one tool.

I'm open to anyway to display the X,Y info. I tried making an instrument display the info. It works great in one drawing, but in another the data it gives is really strange. someone said it looked like an engineering decimal.

So other than a $1100 upgrade any other ideas?

Thanks

I think you would have to write a vectorscript to update the coordinate values of the symbol's database.

Every time I start to write a script, it turns out that Sam Jones already has. And for MUCH less than $1100. http://www.autoplotvw.com/

[Apologies if it wasn't Sam - I know someone has written a script that writes a coordinate to a user field, which can then be included in the LLM]

The stake object is an interesting thought, though. If you put a stake object in a symbol it stops updating its position.

However, if you group a stake object with a symbol (or any geometry) it does keep reporting its position correctly..

mk

There was a plugin at Vectorbits called VB XY. It would display its XY position. Unfortunately it seems that the Vectorbits website is dead.

There is also a plugin called "Coordinate Dimensions" at vectordepot.com

It gives you individual plugin objects for x and y. Unfortunately the demo file containing the symbol examples was created by an illegal copy of Vectorworks (you get the warning when trying to open it) so its hard to see how to implement it....

I guess that's not so helpful.....

Kevin

There was a plugin at Vectorbits called VB XY. It would display its XY position. Unfortunately it seems that the Vectorbits website is dead.

There is also a plugin called "Coordinate Dimensions" at vectordepot.com

It gives you individual plugin objects for x and y. Unfortunately the demo file containing the symbol examples was created by an illegal copy of Vectorworks (you get the warning when trying to open it) so its hard to see how to implement it....

I guess that's not so helpful.....

Kevin

I opened the "Coordinate Dimensions" fine, but it's not reporting the XY accurately.

drats