Upgrade from fundamentals to architect

I work for a small practice who are looking to branch out into 3D. We currently use Vectorworks 2011 Fundamentals but 3D modelling is somewhat limited!! I have recently downloaded the free trial which i believe consists of 2012 VW Designer with Renderworks attached. This is great for creating the modelling effects i require, being it house or site design.

My question is can i get the same photorealistic finishes and the ability to model 3D sites with the VW Architect package instead of Designer which is considerably more expensive?? Also what key modelling tools am i going to lose if i go for architect??

Any help would be appreciated, thanks

I work for a small practice who are looking to branch out into 3D. We currently use Vectorworks 2011 Fundamentals but 3D modelling is somewhat limited!! I have recently downloaded the free trial which i believe consists of 2012 VW Designer with Renderworks attached. This is great for creating the modelling effects i require, being it house or site design.

My question is can i get the same photorealistic finishes and the ability to model 3D sites with the VW Architect package instead of Designer which is considerably more expensive?? Also what key modelling tools am i going to lose if i go for architect??

You will only loose the module specific plug-ins. All other things should be the same. There isn't much missing from architect that the designer has. The things I know are the plant tools, hardshape tool, the lightning tools.

Maybe there is some document on the vectorworks page with all features and in what versions they are in? If not, I think NV should work on it.

What you are not getting in Architect that you are getting in Designer are the Landmark and Spotlight tools.

The Spotlight items are probably not a concern unless you are using theatrical truss in your designs.

I believe that the Digital Terrain Modeler is more sophisticated in Landmark than in Architect, so that might be an issue.

You should be able to get Architect now and if you find something that you can't live without, upgrade to Designer in the future. The cost should be about the same as the difference in the prices.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

The question is Architect or Designer but from your description you want to make sure you include Renderworks when considering either product. You are getting most of the photo realistic look from Renderworks. If you just upgrade to Architect or Designer you will be missing just about all the rendering features.

Sounds like you want to upgrade to Renderworks rather than Architect. 3D is built into all versions of Vectorworks but photo realistic results are handled by Renderworks. The 'design series' of Vectorworks has more capabilities, but at the end of the day, they all ultimately use the core 3D modelling capabilities available in Fundamentals.

• 11 years later...