Importing Design Layers

Is there any way to import entire Design Layers into a file other than copying and pasting? I am sharing multiple files with other departments at my work and as we need to make changes, we have to call each other and make sure that the file we need isn't already in use by some one else. Is there a good way to merge files together? It would be great if there was a way to import and export entire design layers and sheet layers from other files through the resource browser. It would certainly help us to have multiple users make changes to certain aspects of a single file at the same time and then merge the changes into a common file. Maybe there is a good way to do this already. Any info is certainly appreciated.

-John

I think what you are after is called Workgroup Referencing (or "referencing" for short). Look it up in the help, then post back with additional questions as needed. By the way, welcome to the forum. It is generally very helpful for you to post your VW's and OS versions, etc. The easiest way to do this is to create a Signature by going to the My Stuff Pulldown menu (above) and choosing Edit Profile...

The other way I sometimes use is to select all & create a symbol, then import the symbol into a the other file through the resource browser, place it on the drawing, then convert the symbol to a group & delete the instance of the symbol.

One may also use the eyedropper tool to reproduce Sheet Views from one file to an other, as long as the Layer & Class info is correct.

The easiest way to actually import layers from another file is using the new layer dialog -

- In the layer dialog, select New.

- choose Import Design Layers, select Choose and navigate to the file you want to import layers from.

- choose the layers

- make sure the Import Layer Objects checkbox is checked

- hit OK

Your chosen layers will be imported into your file.

Kevin

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Peter is spot on that this is a clear case for referencing. If the files are referenced between users, it means that users will all be looking at the latest version of the file and will reduce the risk of information being out of date.

However, if you really do just want to import a design layer from another file, click the Layers button on the View bar and click New to create a new layer. Instead of naming your layer, click Import Design Layers and then browse to find the file from which you want to import the layer. Select the desired layer(s) and then check Import Layer Objects. Click OK and the layers and their objects will be imported.

• Like 1