how to combine two nurbs?

joerg

I tried Jonathon's solution but it didn't work for me.

I found this on the Board from a couple of years ago:

1. Nurbs curves can be combined. Select 2 (or more) nurbs curves whose endpoints are exactly coincident. Then Modify > Compose. You now have one nurbs curve

2. You can edit vertices of nurbs curves. There are two ways.

-1: Select the nurbs curve. Select the 3D reshape tool from the 3D toolset (or double click the nurbs curve - in recent versions this will automatically select the 3D reshape tool).

There are modes to move a vertex, add a vertex, subtract a vertex, and change vertex type. There are also modes to constrain a vertex move to a specific axis.

-2: Select the nurbs curve. In the OIP change the Move pulldown from Entire Object to Vertex Only. Clicking the buttons next to Edit will cause different vertices to flash as they are selected. Then you can enter the desired location for just that vertex into the OIP.

I tried No. 1 and that didn't work either. However I was able to reshape the curved wall extract over to the opposite ends of the straight wall and that worked. See attached screen capture.

The problem is the curved wall. It isn't tangent to the straight wall.

Attached is one that I think does what you want. The only problem is that the extracted and added nurbs surfaces still show the joint.

One solution is this:

Draw the walls so the curved wall is tangent to the straight wall.

Extract curves instead of surfaces. For example extract the bottom of both walls and the side of one wall. This will give you 3 groups of nurbs curves. Ungroup all of them and discard all except for the two curves on the outside bottom of the wall and one of the vertical nurbs.

Select the two bottom curves Modify>Compose to get one curve.

Use the loft surfaces tool in the loft w/ one rail mode to create a surface.

hth

mk

Thanks a lot,

i'll try both methodes...!

it would have been great if it would work like "add-surface"!

At the moment we work in the conceptual state and it will be more important later, when we do the "real" design.

I added a little screenshot of what we try to do.

i made the basic structure with a stacked set of walls than extracted surfaces because i have different image areas inside and outside. But than first trouble! if you extract surfaces from walls the render interfears with the origine wall because surfaces are in place, so you have to make the wall thinner but this allways happens from the center line and one have to be sure that you have extracted both sides before... well that actually reveals a whish for a possibility of an ankerpoint for a wallside...

if you extract surfaces from walls the render interfears with the origine wall because surfaces are in place, so you have to make the wall thinner ...

This happens because the wall and the extracted surface are in exactly the same place.

I find it helpful to bump the extracted surface away from the wall by a very very small distance.

hth

mk

Just a comment:

I find that Open GL renders do not handle the (nearly) coincident surfaces very well. Even a big offset between base object and extracted surface does not eliminate the interference. Renderworks handles this much better, but at cost of render time. Live flyovers and walk throughs are not possible in Renderworks.

-B