Import PDF too large.

Using VW210 I've been importing many PDF files from architects and creating viewports or sheet layers. I've had no problem working with these files.

Using 2011 when I import a 3 meg file I can end up with a 60-70 meg Vectorworks file. My computer can't handle the file size [or some feature of the import I don't understand] and almost locks up.

I had to go back to working with these files in 2010. I've looked in the knowledgebase and can't find a solution.

A little help please?

Thanks much,

Anthony

I just tested with a 4.9mb pdf - BW scan of a single page paper document:

Drag & drop into new VW2011 file and save.

VW file size = 5.2mb

Add a second blank layer and import same pdf file and save.

VW file (both layers, incl 2 versions of the pdf) = 10.1mb

Delete both pdfs & save

VW file (2 blank layers and some undo history) = 89kb

Maybe there is some intensive info in your pdf? Vector layers? text styles? Fonts?

Try import or drop into a new blank VW file and check the size.

Also in the new file, unpack the pdf

Convert to group (Cmd K)

Ungroup (Cmd U)

Usually you find 3 entities: Bitmap, blank sheet, group of vectors.

Maybe one of these is excessive.

Side note: In 2011, I am finding that the bitmap component and any text evaporate when I enter the group. Completely gone when I exit the group.

-B

I too have had problems importing an ACAD pdf output from PaperSpace. VW treated it like it was 1GB and went into an unholy spin every time I tried to display that Design Layer but especially the Sheet Layer with where I had placed it via a SLVP.

Perhaps it is trying to re-size it every time it gets the chance. We ended up deleting it to 'resolve' the problem.

I even find this with some consultant's PDF's; the file says it is only say 1mgb but just to open & print takes FOREVER. Our IT consultant says it has something to do with imbedded information in the PDF file. So what I do is to open the file in Acrobat, & reduce the file size & then import into VW & this seems to help.

I've seen strange behavior with some acad pdfs also. When this happens there is usually an extra group. Instead of the usual 3 objects: bit map, rectangle, and vectors - the vectors are grouped in with another rectangle.

What happens if you import the pdf into 2010, close the vwx file and open it in 2011?

mk

One other solution we found was to have the consultant send a PDF of their work WITHOUT their Logo, & forward the LOGO as a Tiff or Jpg & add the LOGO ourselves. This made the files considerably smaller. When I then produced a PDF from these 2 files the resulting PDF was smaller by a large factor.