Open old file puzzle

Can anyone answer this puzzle:

I made a 60 Meg file about 4 years ago (on VW 12?) with lots of interior details/textures and an external reference. I was able to open, update, and save the same file to VW 2010 on both a Mac and a PC. However, when I try to "open with" VW2011, the program seems to launch OK, and gives the dialog box "do you want to update broken references ?" within 2 seconds after I click "do not update" the entire program crashes. Same result on Mac or PC. Any thoughts ?

(Obviously, I can work in VW2010, but this project is one of those that lasts many years, and I'm wondering if I'll ever be able to use newer versions of VW with it.)

• 2 weeks later...

if anyone cares .... the only way to rescue the file was to open another blank file in VW 2010, then individually copy and paste each layer from the old file to the new blank one. After doing this, the new file could be opened in VW2011. So far, I haven't noticed anything missing. Except I'm annoyed that several texture that looked great in VW2010 didn't copy exactly into VW2011 and I find the VW2011 brick texture settings to be more difficult to manipulate than the VW2010 textures.

I have not tried workgroup referencing .... I was satisfied with my "copy-paste" new file until this strange thing happens: I had 3D window trim (separate objects, not part of the window PIO) and to edit them I switched to class visibility: 'active only'. Immediately, the trim rotated 90 deg to make the trim be on a horizontal (X-Y) plane. Other objects in that class did not rotate. I fixed them by moving/rotating, then later tried the same thing, and the trim rotated again. The rotation could not be "undone" except by manipulating the rotated objects. The only way to "undo" it was to "revert to last saved". I had already updated the old file to VW2011 plug ins. This is weird. Does tech support have a method to "un-corrupt" a file and give it back to me ? I have a lot of time placed in this 3D model for a project that is likely to last another 2 years and I'd like to save it. Also, after I updated the file from VW 2008, I've added some work, and I don't want to lose that new work by translating it back to VW 2008. How do I get the large (70Meg) file to tech support ? (too big to email).