fit walls to roof not working

lucylou

lucy, could you be more specific as to exactly what is lacking (or wrong) with your results? A couple "fit to" tips: 1) It will always work better when the walls to be fitted are on a different design layer than the "fitted to" geometry, 2) Often, strange results occur due to specific geometry in the "fitted to" layer (ie: walls which end up notched around every rafter at their top, etc). In these cases it is usually effective to create a "dummy" layer into which simple 3d geometry can be placed (eg: extrudes...) and used as the "fitted to" object(s)...

thanks for your response, i have attached an image showing how the walls to roof isnt working properly, see the red circles highlighting the areas that havent work properly. My roof is on a different layer and is a simple gable ended roof, no rafters or any detail as such, so should create a smooth triangular shaped walls with straight edges, like ive been using for years!

lucylou after bug submitting a roof I was having problems with I was told that in order for the Fit to Roof command to work correctly:

- The roof needs to be on a layer separate from the walls.

- The Z height of the roof layer needs to be greater than the Z height of the walls layer (having them the same is problematic apparently).

Your walls appear to have multiple vertices which is a common result of having the Fit to Roof command run on them several times. Unfortunately there is no command for undoing the wall changes the Fit to Roof command makes so you will need to delete the unwanted vertices by using the delete vertice mode of the 3D Reshape tool.

• Like 1

mike

the roof is on a seperate layer from the walls, and the z height is higher on the roof. I have run the Fit to Roof command a few times now, trying to make it work, but only because it didn't work in the first place! Just annoying to have to go round everywall and manually edit each vertice. Not exactly promoting VW as being efficient! I wonder if there is an undo wall command in VW 2011?

If this happens again, I've found that creating a dummy layer with a dummy piece of 3D geometry - just a large flat plane bigger than the building and very low to the ground - maybe 3' - and running the Fit Walls to Roof command using that layer causes the walls to "reset" to that very low level.

Then you can run the command again, but use the real roof.

hth

mk