Developer Wiki and Function Reference Links ×

Vector Script School Site Maybe?.

Assembly

This section of the tech board is great for the community to ask questions and provide answers. There are a number of good support sites for those with a little experience.

After a couple of years here there is the reoccurring post of 'how do I start'.

I also see a number of terms and concepts reoccur which I don't get yet.

I have learnt most from reading others code. I think a combination of Youtube videos with example scripts would be a really good education tool.

There are a number of excellent resource site out there but does not seem to be any 'Vector Script School' site.

I've made a quick canvas form on Zoho to see what interest there might be in such a site / community. Please click link and make a response.

Survey Form

• 2 weeks later...

Years ago VW back then it was mini cad held a seminar on vectorscript, that i attended. It was quite interesting, but the level of knowledge including basic programming techniques of those who attended somewhat limited the course to a general overview.

The "i no nothing" to "i know a little" to "i know a lot" process should be used if this site is ever developed. Basic programming structures should also be Incorporated into the site to help the beginners. I took some programming courses in Visual Basic & C at the local community college to understand logic better. These courses greatly enhanced my ability to write vectorscript. From there it was just the syntax of vectorscript that i needed to learn. Mini Cad 7 actually had a programming manual that came with the software bundle, It is still within arms reach today. I look forward to seeing one site that would incorporate all of this information.

Jeff Miller

If anyone is interested in some basics right now, this site looked like a good intro to PASCAL programming. Here's a few fundamental differences between PASCAL and VS's compiler:

- VS can take unstructured code in a sort of macro mode. That is, a list of procedures that take only strings and numbers as input. For example, this is a valid VS:

MoveTo(0,10);

LineTo(10,-10);

Message('Hello World');

If you want to include constants, variables, and sub procedures and functions, you need to wrap your entire VS in a function, and run that function at the end. Most of your scripting will take the form:

PROCEDURE MyScript;

{Const, Var, Type, subs}

BEGIN

{Stuff}

END;

Run(MyScript);

Note, this varies slightly than the program template in the tutorial, notably the semicolon after the final END, the need for a procedure definition, and the Run command at the end.

- Ignore the tutorial's section on Input/Output. VS has it's own file read/write procedures. There is also no console for input and output. You may find the Message function to be useful as a console output, though you can only see one message line at a time. Including the {$DEBUG} directive anywhere in your script will launch the VS debugger and let you step through the script and see variable values as they become assigned.

Hope this provides a little guidance for anyone looking for some immediate tutorials.

-Josh

I posted this on the General message board. Orso pointed out there are a number of good resources out there already. Namely VectorLab and the NA Developer wiki. I have been referring to these a lot recently- VectorLab has some gems in it. Being Wiki's I find the info a little buried on both sites.

I think these two resources are good for Advanced users, not so good for beginners looking to get in. I think there is a lot of info out there that would be good to aggregate.

I note that only 14 people replied to the Survey, most know some script and are looking for a more centralized space. This forum is great for people helping. I find sometimes I can't find posts I want to go back to. It would be good if we could 'tag' the posts in this forum.