Adobe air is CRAP

Can we start a revolt to get rid of it? They still haven't fixed the problem that if you click off of it and come back to it, it resets to its introductory default page. To boot, the tech writers at NNA still don't seem to understand that each discipline doesn't need to search the entire database for all disciplines. I mean does a theater lighting designer need to be encumbered with architectural or landscape topics and vice versa? Its stupid. Software is only as good as its support manuals and someone drove the bus off the wrong end a few versions back. Add to it a unnecessarily complicated and flawed shell (air is about as bad as acrobat) and you'll end up alienating new users as well as old.

Wear me out...

You'd think it could maintain its window location when you move it, and keep the page open to the last page you viewed when you click the dock icon to bring it to the front, but no!

Trying to get "help" on what is a design viewport (I meant to say "detail viewport"). Search the VW help for that... NOTHING. Darn it, I'm so tired of junky help programs that don't help.

Edited by Bruce Kieffer

Oops... I'm as goofed up as Adobe Air. It's "detail viewport" I'm searching for. Do this: Select a viewport, and then go to the view menu and select "create viewport." You'll see it has a dialog box talking about a detail viewport. I figured out what that meant, but it was by intuition, not by getting "help" from Adobe Air.

VW 2010. Set a view of your objects on a design layer. Go to the view menu/create viewport, create a new viewport. Put it on a new sheet layer. Go to the viewport. Select the viewport. Go again to the view menu/create viewport. Then you should see the dialog box I show above.

Ray,

We should probably start a new topic if you want to continue this discussion since it's unrelated to Adobe Air.

Bruce

You're just missing one step.

On the sheet layer draw a shape of the detail area on top of a sheet layer viewport.

Then select both the shape and the viewport.

View>Create Viewport...

It will create a duplicate viewport cropped to the shape. You can then set the scale to something big and cool.

I usually do that and then remember that it works better if you draw the shape, duplicate the shape, and then select one of the shapes and the viewport. That way you have the shape on top of the VP that is the same as the VP crop.

One exception -

If the VP you want to make a detail from already has a crop then use this workflow:

Duplicate the Viewport.

Draw the shape of the detail area on top of the (already cropped) duplicate viewport.

Copy the shape. Edit the crop space of the duplicate VP. Paste in place. Delete the existing shape. Exit the VP crop edit.

Bob's your uncle.

hth

michaelk