Sum Proposed Area worksheet function

Are you using a database or a worksheet cell.

='Space'.'Proposed Area'

will give you the area of each space in the database. The header row will be the total of all the spaces.

If you don't want the data base to show you could hide the rows and use a formula (like = A3 or whatever cell is in the header row of the database) to show just the total.

• 3 years later...

Bringing this back from the dead, can someone help me get the sum of a worksheet column for my space objects worksheet? See attached

Also, i'd like to add rows to have sub-totals for each floor, but it does not seam to allow me to add them between each floor...is adding them at the bottom the only solution?

Edited by Fritsch
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

The sum should just be:

=SUM(A2)

where the database row is 2 and the column you want to sum from that database is column A. Unless I am misunderstanding your question.

If you want to have subtotals for different layers, you can create worksheets with a criteria sorting by Design Layer, then simply append those worksheets into one. That should give you any amount of space needed between the various floors.

Make sure to review this video:

As well as the other videos in the Worksheet series we recently released.

• 1 year later...

Apologies, I must not have explained myself well.

I am not trying to use the SUM command to combine rows. I am trying to add (or perform any function) certain values together. It just seems as if individual values in a database are not addressable. So if I had a database of 10 items, and I wanted to add a select subset of a particular value together - I would need to write an equation that includes D2.5..D2.9 for example - but that is not recognized.

You are correct, you can not work on a subset of a database.

Two possible solutions:

1. Create a separate database that only contains the objects you are interested in.

2. Set up a column with a formula that will only apply to the objects you are interested in. e.g. =if(MyRecord.BooleanFieldMarkingMyObjects,D2,0)

The issue with databases and subsets is that the order of the data is not fixed. If you later added an additional item that came in as say D2.7, your formula for the subset would no longer be correct.