Custom Roof and Determine Valleys and Ridges

cwailes

I have created a 2-story plan. However, I am having problems determining the valleys and ridges. The roof I want to have has all the same pitch 7:12. I can not figure out how to draw the 2D shapes to fit the roof I want. What is the best way to determine the valleys and ridges. Of course the roof is too complex for VW to do so I have tried breaking the roof up into several pieces and then combining them. However, what I end up with is an area that does not work, almost like a area the will/would just hold water. I have attached the first and second floor plans. Please help.

If you simplify the outline polygon - with as few short lines & as many collinear lines as possible you can then AEC>Create Roof - with a minimal Eave Overhang (1")

and produce the following result.

Then increase the EO to suit (hopefully without breaking the roof)

Modify>Ungroup to be left with a collection of Roof Faces which you can then modify to fit your design.

What we need is for VW's to combine and trim roof faces, if it does will someone please tell me how. I'm working on a complex roof with different elevations (just to complicate things). I use the roof tool to it's max, ungroup and then edit the resulting roof faces. It would be so much easier if a tool was available to extend or trim all of the roof faces. For now it involves stretching the unlaying polygons back and forth until one "gets close".

Yes, it would be great to have roof faces that recognized each other! I find it works adequately to go to a side view and pull a dimension to the intersection point, then back to top/plan to make the needed addition or clipping of the roof faces. But it's really time consuming and a total PITA when there are changes to be made...

If in Top Plan View you draw & copy a line representing your ridge, hip, valley this can be Pasted in place as an accurate guide when editing & stretching the roof face polygon.

Unlike symbols the roof faces polygons respect the global coordinates.

Liberal use of the Smart Edge - T ensures that parallelograms maintain their parallelogramminesses.