Asteriod

to those who keep up-to-date with current updates with competing CAD programs like SolidEdge and ProDesktop etc, there is a new device on the market.

It's called the Asteroid, and allows for the freedom of a 3D operator to metaphorically 'fly throughougt' the object he is currently drawing.

Its basically an ergonomic ball, that fits into your hand, and can be moved throughout all 6 dimensions (3 lineal, 3 rotational dimensions).

What it does, is it draws Vector diagrams depending on where it is the operator pushes it.

you can read more about this on the following website: http://www.spatialfreedom.com/pages/default.asp

I'd like VectorWorks to make an update, a module, something, that allows for this Device to be plugged into my computer, and me being able to use it to aid my drawings.

if this is in any way possible, then we would all be better off. let me know all of your thoughts on the matter in this forum.

• 2 weeks later...

Would someone please post a reply on this thread. The asteroid could greatly improve the CAD experience for all who use it, and make drawing/drafting/designing more effcient for the professionals.

If the other fancy CAD Companies are allowing an update in their programs for this device, then can someone pleae tell me why VectorWorks is not? In my opinion, VectorWorks is ten times better then the rest of them put together.

Lets join the competition, and allow the asteroid to be used within VectorWorks.

System Requirements

Microsoft Windows XP?

Microsoft Windows XP? x64

Microsoft Windows Vista?

Microsoft Windows Vista? x64

Notice anything missing?

I notice that it is not compatable with the Mac system, but some consultation with the creators can alter that.

But would it be possible for VectorWorks to have an additional pallet (or smething) added to it to allow for the asteroid to be able to be used with it?

And no. This is a 3D spatial tool that allows for inhanced freedom of the operator. NOT a back massager.

Edited by chrismahoney1

chris, the engineers at NNA are always watching posts here on the forum. Perhaps the best way for you to suggest something to them is to post your request to the "Wishlist" portion of the forum.

I wouldn't expect an immediate response. Remember that the designs and engineers of Vectorworks are working at least a couple versions ahead in their planning, etc. I would assume however that any serious wish for new technology to be incorporated into the program would be given a serious look by them.

NNA is generally very responsive to the needs of it's users ;-)

Chris

Out of curiosity, are you associated with this product from NSW Australia?

I don't think it matters if you are, but I personally feel that it is an aid to openness if people make it clear that they have a vested interest with products that they are trying to promote.

Im not actually with the company, but I do know the creator. He showed me how it worked not too long ago, and I've been trying to get my hands on one since. Unfortunately it's not compatable with the VectorWorks programming (yet, I hope), but once it is, then I will be a happy chappy.

It also has possibilities with the 3rd person shooter gaming industry, but I'm unsure whether it's 100% effective or not...