VW2008 - Changing Class Definitions from Referenced files?

nicoloco

Hi there, quick question:

VW2008 SP3

As part of our office workflow, we have set up two types of files - 'Reference' (for live design data) and 'Output' (for drawing issues).

The data from the Reference files is brought into the Output files via Design Layer Viewports. Sheet Layer Viewports are then used to arrange the data on the Sheet Layers of the Ouput files.

Sometimes, we would like to override certain class settings within the Output files (for different issues for different reasons/client bodies etc.). ie. change all of the 'internal walls' to a dotted line for issue as a tenancy drawing.

When we choose to override the classes in the Output file, the changes are shown on the Design Layer Viewports, but these changes do not come through to the Sheet Layer.

Why not?

Any help would be appreciated.

• 1 month later...

Well, I've got the filling it is not fixed... or may be am I doing something wrong?

1. Say i've got a simple filed called rectangle with 4 rectangles drawn in 4 differents classes and set to follow classes attributes (red green yellow and blue)

2. I then create a new file called reference and i create a VPreferenced and I select the "use current document's class visibilities" option

3. the classed do turn invisible, grey or visible as I switch the class on and of, but the attribute of each rectangle would only be editable withing the class option of the VP referenced...

(this means that if I change the attribute of class1 from red to magenta nothing happens, only if i change the attributes of class1 within the VP option does the change reflects)

All my classes do have the same names in the different files

... hmm so I guess it does "override" the current file classes attributes... but what's the point if it didn't follow them at first?

Am I using a bad logic?

Best

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

You are referring to the "Use current document's class visibilities" setting for the DLVP. When this is checked, it causes the DLVP to ignore its visibilities and uses the active document's class visibilities which is exactly what you described above.

However, Pat is referring to the "Retain Design Layer Viewport class override" checkbox control that is available on the "VP Class Properties" dialog for SLVPs.