Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Christiaan

Referencing door/window numbers from another file

Recommended Posts

Historically we've created door/window schedules by Workgroup Referencing our plans (which contain Record Format-linked door/window number symbols) into a separate file and then creating a Worksheet from that referenced data.

Am I correct in saying that the only way to do this is via the Layer Import method of Workgroup Referencing?

Share this post


Link to post

Right, okay, thanks Jeffrey. I'll take another look because when I first tried it all the cells in the Worksheet zeroed out.

Share this post


Link to post

Not working here Jeffrey. When I recalculate the worksheet it zeros out, and if I recalculate again the cells then show #OBJ?

Share this post


Link to post

I don't have any, just the Function. How do I define the Criteria for data from a true referenced file? Do I need to create viewports of all the floor levels I want counted?

Share this post


Link to post

The Ellicott Heights project on the BIM in Practice section of our website is a great example of using Database Worksheets and referenced information (in this case, A LOT of information). If you have the time/bandwidth, I suggest downloading and taking a look.

Until then..

I started the Door Schedule with the default from the menu command Reports>VA Create Schedule...> Door Schedule

Next I went ahead and edited the criteria in the Database Header for doors (Picture 2)

Then I point VW in the right direction to find the doors. In this case I had a large number of doors on multiple layers, but wanted to exclude one particular layer (Picture 3). The other two criteria are probably what you are looking for and should include in your Criteria. Just make sure that the "On Schedule" button is selected for your door objects/PIOs in the source documents.

Hope this helps, but keep me informed, we'll get you there.

Share this post


Link to post

Thanks Jeffrey, I haven't used the Database Header or Schedule. We have our own custom door/win number symbol which we place on our plans/model.

We then create a elevational door schedule in a different file, then WGR the plans and create a simple Worksheet to count the door types, using, for example: =COUNT('Doors'.Type='A') in a cell.

With this method is it possible to count the types with a true file reference instead of a layer import?

Share this post


Link to post

If the door/win number symbol is a separate object and it contains the data for the door, like 'type', then you need to count the number symbol, not the door.

Then use a database worksheet and set the criteria in the header to look for the record format of that number symbol.

Share this post


Link to post

This is the problem though. I can't seem to get the Criteria dialogue to see the Record Format without importing the Layers.

Share this post


Link to post

You can create worksheets from data referenced using either DLVPs or by Layer Import.

If you are using layer import, the Record Formats are imported (i.e. they show in the Resource Browser) so the criteria dialog will see those just like any other Record Format.

However, if you are referencing data using DLVPs, you still need to place a DLVP on one of your design layers. The criteria dialog can only get to the Record Formats referenced via this method through a DLVP.

Hope this helps.

Tolu

Share this post


Link to post

Thanks, that's what I thought Tolu, but I just can't get the bugger to see them. I'll just import layers for now.

Share this post


Link to post

Christaan,

Can you zip up and send me the project files with a small narrative of the desired output on in the correct file? I can try a crack at it, troubleshoot, if necessary.

jouellette@nemetschek.net

Share this post


Link to post

Christiaan,

Have you found a solution to this yet? I seem to be having the same problem. The worksheet displays fine in my source file. When I create a DLVP in my target file, all that displays is the header information. If I show database headers, I can see the correct count of objects in my worksheet, just no additional rows with my worksheet content.

Share this post


Link to post

Currently, worksheet images are not referenced correctly (the contents of the database are removed) - this is a known bug.

A workaround is to create a worksheet in the target file, with the appropriate criteria (i.e only include objects in the referenced DLVP).

Tolu

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

 

7150 Riverwood Drive, Columbia, Maryland 21046, USA   |   Contact Us:   410-290-5114

 

© 2018 Vectorworks, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Vectorworks, Inc. is part of the Nemetschek Group.

×
×
  • Create New...