irregular walls

beanus

Has anyone any tips on drawing irregular walls by which I mean ones with faces that aren't parallel & not vertical. Most of the drawings I prepare are for older buildings, which have been built in either stone or cob, none of the walls run square & even the roofs can run at odd angles. I find Vectorworks fine for modern buildings but I get stumped when it comes to older buildings I usually end up drawing them in 2D so any advice would be gratefully received

beanus,

Non-parallel is easy, just turn the x/y constraints off and draw them (in plan) at any angle you want.

Out-of-plumb (not staight in the vertical plane) is not easy. VW's wall objects are always plumb, and always of a regular thickness. The only suggestion I can make is that you can model them using the Solid Modeling tools/comands available in VW's. Of course this will mean that you will need to create openings for doors & windows, etc., but I suspect you could use the VW's Door & Window PIO's and just place them into the openings. This will be a very time consuming endeavor, and I tend to question if you really need it.

What are you trying to acheive? Are you doing 3d Modeling for presentation? Are you creating 2d construction docs? Both? Other?

It would probably be helpful if you could post some example(s) of the specific condition(s) which is/are giving you trouble. That way we could all have a look and perhaps give you better guidance...

Good luck, it's a real PITA. You can't actually attach anything to the post as this feature is deliberately disabled. The only way I have ever figured to get an image up is:

1) You need web/server space somewhere (there is free space available, but I can't remember where at the moment)

2) Place your image (jpeg or whatever) on the web

3) Post the LINK to the page in your forum message

One way to do it, and what I do, is get a dot.mac account, which gives you some web/server space. There are others too... Perhaps someone else will jump in with more choices...

P