best way to speed up OIP entry

I'm finding that when I'm working on a complicated plot (3d, set, symbols, many classes and layers) that using the OIP as well as "nudging" becomes painfully slow.

Any ideas what the best way to speed up VW12 on a PC would be? I've checked the Task Manager and whenever I do an operation in VW the CPU usage stays at 99 from 3-10 seconds depending on the operation. Oh and all this is with wireframe views.

My current configuration is:

P4 3.0 HT (800MHz FSB)

(HT is off, it slows Renderworks)

1 gb RAM

plenty of hard disc space (SATA-1)

ATI Radeon 9800 PCI 8x video

And if I change to the newer grade of processors and/or chipsets, will it make enough of a difference to invest the cash?

Ideas?

[ 04-12-2006, 12:20 AM: Message edited by: acdeslx ]

I have always thought the OIP to be slow, still do. Upgrading to a faster computer did improve the OIP response. So I guess the answer is yes, a faster CPU is better.

I have close to the top of the line in Macs and the OIP still lags. I was so hoping that NNA could speed up the response of the OIP.

I would imagine that background processing is also a factor. The antivirus software definitely gets shut off if it's going to be a heavy VW session. I don't think Windows is particularly good at allocating processing power amongst the myriad of background operations. That's most likely due to it's ability to work with so many different software programs. Macs seem to run smoother, which again is most likely due to their world being a closed system.

Unfortunately it's all about horsepower.

My desktop is similar to yours, and when I get a really big show going with many instruments it bogs.

Especially when I've got all the fields filled in.

Here's a question for NNA: Is there a preffered system build that works best? Do the new dual core porcessors make any difference?

Purging unused stuff has helped in the past, but not if you've got 500 instruments and truss everywhere.

You can check out the Renderworks listings. They have had a strand about speed and processors.

Dual core VS hyperthreading.

From what I got out of it - basically the dual cores work faster for rendering. Hyperthreading isn't as good over all.

At the end of the month I am buying a new computer with dual core so I will see how much faster it is than what I have now

AMD 64 - 2800+ 1.8 GHz - 512 MG RAM - PA extension