lines with text in them

Herin lies the extreme power of VW....

Using the "Repetative Unit" tool you use a symbol ("P") saved in your current document or in your favorites as the object you want repeated along a line, curve, bezier, arc...you get the point. Here's the kicker... once you set the line with your repeating symbol just change the line attribute to dashed. Or better yet just make a class with the line attrubutes pre-defined and use it exclusivly for your letter delinated line.

RepLine1.jpg

Pretty simple...huh!

Pete A.

Nevertheless, I prefer to use my own line & polygon objects that make the process totally painless (text, symbol or 2 alternating symbols) and allows adjustment of spacing. Should be a built-in feature instead of something one needs to implement through programming!

You can adjust the spacing simply by changing the pitch in OIP. Once I figured out using the repetative unit tool for custom lines, I found it way easier than trying to do the same thing in that other program (ACAD).

What special programming, type a letter or word, create symbol of it, draw line using RU tool.

OK - it may be that this Repetitive Unit does what my PIO does and is the "built-in feature". Obviously something new in VW 12.

Well, if I ever upgrade, at least one PIO less to modify & install, so thanks Tom for explaining what Pete already had showed. I thought he was talking about Duplicate Along Line, which has been used for the purpose.

Time to learn to read.

I have finally concluded that line styles with at least simple markers - letters, crosses, ticks etc - would definitely be useful. They could be applied to any objects and existing objects. Duplicate Along Path is of course the workaround, but it is clumsy and non-editable.