Modify polygon lengths?

When you draw a line with the Line Tool, you can see the length of the line in the Object length window at the top of the page and, after it is drawn, in the Object Info palette as well. Also, after the line is drawn, you can modify it by adjusting the length in the Object Info palette no matter whether the line is horizontal, vertical or diagonal.

With polygons drawn with the Double Line Tool, however, although you can see the length as you are drawing it, after it is drawn, if you want to modify the length, you can apparently only do so if the polygon is vertical or horizontal.

If the polygon is diagonal, is there any way to accurately modify the length (i.e., change it to a specific length)?

Marc

VW 2.5 (Designer)

Mac OS 10.3.9

Hello IslandMon;

I don't know what version of VW you are using but in VW 12.5, when Lines are selected, the OIP gives a choice of Cartesian and Polar, but when Polygons are selected, there is no such choice. That, therein, is the problem.

Do you have a choice of Cartesian and Polar in OIP when you select polygon made with the Double Line Tool?

I see how I can draw a polygon in a Polar mode by double-clicking the Double Line Tool button, but once drawn, the OIP does not offer me polar info to modify the shape.

Marc

If the polygon is diagonal, is there any way to accurately modify the length (i.e., change it to a specific length)?

Marc,

you can change the length of a rotated rectangle in the same way that you can edit the side of any poly. It's not as straight forward as just putting in the number you want, (in fact it's a bit clunky)but it works:

2D Reshape tool,

Click and hold on the side you want to extend and drag it in the direction you want to go,(dont let go)

Use the Tab key to go to the L field and enter the length you want to change the existing length,hit Enter,( the side will jump to the new length)

make sure the "perpendicular" cursor cue is highlighted and let go of the mouse button.

Note: the bit about holding down the mouse button;

I've noticed that when using the 2D reshape tool, sometimes you can edit a vertex or side by clicking once to pick up and click again to put down, and sometimes you must click, hold and drag.

I've no idea why it's changing for me ????? If click and click again is working for you, then the bit about holding the mose button down while moving doesn't apply.

cheers

Nicholas,

(Marc,)

If you use the 2D reshape tool draw a marquee around the end to the poly you want to modify...then grabbing the center handle and dragging in the desired direction yow wish to move....tab into the "L" window and insert the distance. The rest happens just like Nicholas described....I like to use the marquee as it will grab only what is within the boundary I define....Plus if I want to move multiple items the marquee is the way to go.

Now all I have to do is figure out when that vertice moving inconsistency issue comes up.....and I will take it down.

Pete A.

Thanks Nicholas/Mike/Pete for all the tips.

I find that just double-clicking on the polygon with the regular 2D Selection Tool, activates the 2D Reshape Tool and its associated handles easily.

Nicholas, your method works just fine. Only problem is, if you don't know what the length of the polygon was to begin with, just knowing the new added dimension doesn't let you accurately set a new total length.

It would be great if simple polygons, like those drawn with a double line tool, could have the same OIP information as a simple line does (for instance, using the center line of the polygon as a guide)

Marc